Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Made in America
#356496 10/11/11 02:08 PM
BobKay Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I've been following ABC's on-going pieces on the subject with David Muir.

They have done things like going into "nice" neighborhoods and asking homeowners if they could have moving guys take everything out of their houses that was not made in America.

Most rooms are laid bare--sofas, wooden furniture, anything that uses a wall outlet, gone. Sometimes there's a carpet remaining, or an antique lamp.

They focused last night on the building trades. A company they interviewed is building houses with ALL American materials. Nails, screws, drywall, wiring, plumbing, fixtures, every scrap made in the US. The total extra cost is marginal. Some doemstic products are a bit cheaper (and still better) than their foreign (mostly Chinese) counterparts.

They couldn't find domestic J-bars (a pre-made J-shaped piece of re-bar), so they bought straight pieces and had a neighborhood metal shop bend them.

The main point is, if the trades increased their purchases of US-made products by 5%, it could create 225,000 jobs, now--right now!

Of course, I did notice that not one power hand-tool being used on-site was American---'cause there aren't any. They were using all Japanese brands (Makita, Hitachi), made in ...???? Bingo Chiner!

So, I'll try to be more mindful when I buy my supplies, but that means staying away from any and all home centers, Ace, Tru Value--any national chain. Their prices are Chinese- dependent in such a huge way. I guess making the time to discover the US mfgrs., then hunting down local reatilers is the issue.

No mention was made about from how far away in the US the products were trucked, so 'carbon footprint' didn't enter their equation. But, hey, ya gotta start somewhere.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
Re: Made in America
BobKay #356500 10/11/11 02:29 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Bob, I've been watching that as well since my evening news of choice is ABC.

It's been very eye-opening, but there have been times when I've fast-forwarded through it because of the reiteration. When they first started doing the series, they would have a feature each night. But on Tuesday, they re-showed much of Monday...to bring you up to speed. On Wednesday, they showed much of Monday and Tuesday's spot. On Thursday...well, you get the picture.

Informative, but they way they presented it just kept pissing me off! smile

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #356504 10/11/11 03:06 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Remind me to add that to the Pet Peeve posts. Even worse is a show where after every commercial break, they spend 4 out of the next 7 minutes or so replaying everything again. It's nothing more than a dirty, sneaky, cheap way to make a show. It's a lot cheaper to fill a show with old content than to pay a crew to get enough footage for a full program.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
MarkSJohnson #356505 10/11/11 03:11 PM
BobKay Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Bob, I've been watching that as well since my evening news of choice is ABC.

It's been very eye-opening, but there have been times when I've fast-forwarded through it because of the reiteration. When they first started doing the series, they would have a feature each night. But on Tuesday, they re-showed much of Monday...to bring you up to speed. On Wednesday, they showed much of Monday and Tuesday's spot. On Thursday...well, you get the picture.

Informative, but they way they presented it just kept pissing me off! smile

I'll mention it to both David AND Diane at our next pow wow lunch.

I agree, like, totally. It's that way with all news/entertainment news/trash news shows. Same with Discovery, Science, et al. Yeah, stretch that conent, baby! I especially like when I've just seen a dinosaur eating a tree, then, 4 minutes later, I see him again, eating what appears to be the same tree, only with the image reversed. They do that with talking heads, too. How stupid do they thimk we is?

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
Murph #356507 10/11/11 03:20 PM
local
local
Originally Posted By: Murph
after every commercial break, they spend 4 out of the next 7 minutes or so replaying everything again
Drives me nuts. They wouldn't be able to get away with it if they didn't have commercial breaks. Now they can easily make 20 minutes of content into a one hour "show".

And those commercials? Yup, made right here in the USA.

Axiom M80s + QS8s + VP180 <-- Pioneer VSX-1120-K <-- Squeezebox Touch / XBox360 / Oppo BDP-93
Murph #356509 10/11/11 03:37 PM
J
connoisseur
connoisseur
J
Originally Posted By: Murph
Remind me to add that to the Pet Peeve posts. Even worse is a show where after every commercial break, they spend 4 out of the next 7 minutes or so replaying everything again. It's nothing more than a dirty, sneaky, cheap way to make a show. It's a lot cheaper to fill a show with old content than to pay a crew to get enough footage for a full program.

so that's why they advertise a show as being "all new"; I've always thought it was so stupid to say that, but now i know better. i've seen those "part new" shows only once or twice, and it bothered me so much i stopped watching after 30 mins or so. Big loss of time and frustrating.
but that doesn't bother the producers, as long as so many people watch the show, they're happy ($$$).

J. B. #356510 10/11/11 03:43 PM
J
connoisseur
connoisseur
J
re. reversing images, what i see the most often is when you see the moon, whether in the movies or even on nature documentaries on tv, lit from the wrong direction.
like, a couple of days ago, during a night scene, we could see the moon lit from the top by the sun, when the sun should light the moon from the bottom.
or, what we see quite often is the moon rising from the west instead of from the east; same for the sun itself; they just run a piece of film backwards...
"no one will see it".

J. B. #356516 10/11/11 04:47 PM
axiomite
axiomite
If somebody showed up at my door and asked me if movers could remove everything from my house that wasn't made in America, I'd shut the door, lock it, and call 911.

CatBrat #356539 10/12/11 12:18 AM
S
aficionado
aficionado
S
Haha, I would too, Brian! But I would get to keep my Axioms because I am a Proud Canadian!

SBrown #356544 10/12/11 02:14 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
Originally Posted By: SBrown
Haha, I would too, Brian! But I would get to keep my Axioms because I am a Proud Canadian!

They would have to remove the drivers though.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters