Timbre Matching
#1841 02/26/02 01:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Awaiting the arrival of my M3's, and was wondering if the whole Timbre matching thing is legit. It seems logical...you want all the speakers to sound the same, but I have heard from a lot of folks that "having all your speakers the same is not a consideration". Which is it? I am contemplating completing my system with Axiom center and surrounds (I assume all Axioms are timbre matched).

Let me also say that my speakers are not going to be complete symmetrically positioned...my living room has a big brick fireplace in the middle that prevents this.

Thanks!

Re: Timbre Matching
#1842 02/28/02 11:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi Terry,
It is legit, but it's especially critical for the center channel and the main left and right speakers to be quite similar. Otherwise, if a center has, for example, a somewhat "cupped" or nasal coloration (and your main speakers are free of this), then when an actor's voice moves from the center to the left or right, you'll actually notice his (or her) voice change in character, and it's very annoying. It makes the sense of space and your involvement in the movie less real.

I've found that timbral mismatches in surround speakers aren't quite as noticeable or as annoying, although I'm still aware of them. But timbral similarity in the three front channels is what really counts.

Regards,

Alan Lofft
Axiom Resident Expert

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452