Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Could use opinions on garage storage lift
#393380 05/24/13 01:29 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
We are looking at adding some storage in the two car garage for the area overtop the front of our vehicles.
Obviously any kind of wire rack bolted to a ceiling joist would work, but i saw a lift system at Canadian Tire awhile back that i thought was a good idea.
They no longer carry this system but i have found places to order it in Canada.
http://www.ordertree.com/racorcanada/garage-storage/ceiling-storage-lift/
http://www.racorstoragesolutions.com/p/detail/phl-1r?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

I contacted a local garage storage systems company and they said they used to carry it, but people didn't "stick with it" and went back to fixed systems.
It seems that Home Depot and Target sell these but only down in the U.S.

It almost makes me wonder if there is some reason why CanTire dropped it from their lineup and/or Home Depot Canada doesn't sell it. Added together with this somewhat negative comment from a former local seller, i have questions whether i should pursue this system.

Anyone use something like this?
Have any thoughts or see any reviews on it?
I have not been able to find any online reviews.

We need to get the storage in place soon as we are finally upgrading our water heater with a heater and extra tank recirc system which will displace some of my wood working appliances like the portable table saw and planer.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Re: Could use opinions on garage storage lift
chesseroo #393381 05/24/13 01:35 PM
axiomite
axiomite
People will accuse me of being negative again. However, I wouldn't feel right if I didn't let you know about a friends system that looks similar if not the same. The cable somehow jammed on one corner, creating an angle as it was raised. A few items fell out of it and something was broken. I don't recall what.

Sorry, that's all I got.

That being said, I have rigged up my own overhead storage for my kayaks for the winter and a few other things. Works great. You can never have enough storage in a garage.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
chesseroo #393390 05/25/13 03:59 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Geez one reply.
I'm rather astonished.
Usually by now there's at least 20 replies, 10% of which are on topic, 80% of which are derogatory remarks about someone else's lifestyle and 10% complete topic highjack.

Thanks for the thoughts Murph.
That is exactly the kind of feedback i was looking for, but can't seem to find any reviews of similar nature about this product on the web anywhere.
I'm getting a little bit more leery of this product with these thoughts going through my head but i'm not yet convinced it is that bad a thing.
Am i being biased here because this solution looks like exactly what i need /want?

chesseroo #393394 05/25/13 04:50 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I like the idea but not the design.
The cable appears to be wrapped around a central shaft.
Lock fails the moment after you turn to walk away and walla. At best the mechanism finds a home and catches. The jolt however might do more damage than that which would have been caused when your stuff hits the ground/car/dog/kid/etc.
I couldn't trust it.

brwsaw #393395 05/25/13 05:04 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Originally Posted By: brwsaw
I like the idea but not the design.
The cable appears to be wrapped around a central shaft.
Lock fails the moment after you turn to walk away and walla. At best the mechanism finds a home and catches. The jolt however might do more damage than that which would have been caused when your stuff hits the ground/car/dog/kid/etc.
I couldn't trust it.

I was watching the video they have of a person raising and lowering the unit as well as the installation instructions. I do believe it has a locking mechanism such that that cables would not lower if the lock was released or not latched in some way once the load was raised.

I do think that the load could be misbalanced though given a possible slight tilt b/c of the cable design from a central point as you say. If all 4 pulleys were independently mounted to the ceiling joists, that would be a different story.

chesseroo #393397 05/25/13 06:25 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I like the 4 pulley idea.
Done right you would multiply the weight capacity/safety margin.

brwsaw #393398 05/25/13 11:44 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I built a platform like that and just used rope at each corner - had to be lowered manually, one corner at a time, but in general it stayed at one level and items were added or removed via a step ladder. It worked well, but Mrs. Classic hated it.

Scott

My HT
chesseroo #393421 05/26/13 05:41 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Well this is probably an impulsive decision, but i'm going to buy one and see how it goes. I could always resell it on kijjiji.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters