Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
buying cables forTV
#145887 08/22/06 01:23 AM
Zarak Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
OK, so try to pardon my newb HDTV questions here, but I know you're all a friendlier bunch then those at AVS when it comes to this type of stuff. So anyway I picked out the TV, but now I am trying to determine what cables I need.

I have/will have:

Sony KDS50a2000
Onkyo SR600
Panasonic DVD RP62
Pioneer DVD 578A (used for SACD and music mostly)
Zenith VCR
Comcast Digital Cable Box

The TV and digital cable box will be the new items. I assume I need component from the Receiver to the TV (or maybe the cable box) and another set of component for HDMI from the cable box to TV.

This is my first HD set, so I am trying to figure all this out before the TV arrives so I have everything I need. That way I can order from monoprice as well instead of paying whatever BB is charging for cables.

Re: buying cables forTV
Zarak #145888 08/22/06 01:46 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Jason, could you clarify the next-to-last paragraph a bit? What outputs does the cable box have available, are you going to feed the cable to the receiver or directly to the TV, what HDMI connection will be possible, etc.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #145889 08/22/06 02:25 AM
Zarak Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I'm not sure how I am hooking it up yet...what will make the most sense.

I spoke to Comcast, and this is the box I get: DCT6200

It has DVI and Component, but no HDMI. Only their DVR box has that, which costs even more per month.

So, I guess I can do DVI to HDMI or straight Component. Would I go cable box to receiver to TV? (2 sets of component) It seems like if I am doing DVI to HDMI I am going right from the box to the TV. I would expect the receiver needs to get in the mix somewhere too though.

Zarak #145890 08/22/06 03:02 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Jason, go DVI to HDMI cable box to TV, if you are running all your audio through your receiver, run an optical line from your cable box to your receiver and you are done, if you plan on using the TV's speakers run 2 analog cables from your cable box to the same input you have your HDMI connected on your TV.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #145891 08/22/06 03:43 AM
Zarak Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
The TV speakers will be off. That's what the Axiom's are for

So I need 1 DVI to HDMI cable from cable box to TV and one optical from the cable box to the receiver.

How about hooking up the VCR, PS2, and DVD players? If they are going to go into the receiver, doesn't the TV need a video connection to the receiver as well?

Zarak #145892 08/22/06 03:53 AM
Zarak Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Also, not to bring up the Do cables matter debate (although I kinda guess I am, it's just not speaker wire), but I see a "high quality" 24 AWG cable for 15.77 and a 28AWG cable for 5.03, both 6ft. I'd tend to spend the extra $10 to get the better one, but will I really notice a difference?

Zarak #145893 08/22/06 03:57 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

So I need 1 DVI to HDMI cable from cable box to TV and one optical from the cable box to the receiver.

Yes, the receiver does not need a video connection to the TV.
Same setup for all your other equipment, video to tv, audio to receiver, I haven't set up a vcr in a while and I think that may have to go through the cable box, manual should tell you what way is best. Hope this helps.

HomeDad #145894 08/22/06 04:14 AM
Zarak Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I think I have everything going through the receiver now, which is what is throwing me off.

Also, on page 19 of the TV manual (available here if you really want to check it out) it appears that the audio connections on the TV next to the HDMI port are analog. Wait a sec...if I have this right, I don't even care about those, since audio will skip the TV all together. I just need a optical/coax cable.

As far as other components go, if the PS2 for example has audio into the receiver, and video to the TV instead of receiver to TV, won't two different things needs to be adjusted when I want to use it. 1 being the A/V input on the receiver and the other being the one on the TV?

Zarak #145895 08/22/06 04:43 AM
veteran
veteran
Yes, you'll need to adjust both the TV and the Receiver when you want to play playstation.

If you have the money get a 'harmony' remote from logitech. Doesn't matter which one they are all good-the higher end ones have a built in rechargable batter and a color screen. You program the suckers on the internet and it sets the macros up for you. Works very well and has an exceptionally high WAF. With the harmony you'd just hit the 'play PS2' button and it would set your equipment up appropriately.

Zarak #145896 08/22/06 05:32 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The audio inputs on the TV next to the HDMI would be connected to the cable box only if you wanted to use the TV's speakers.

Quote:

As far as other components go, if the PS2 for example has audio into the receiver, and video to the TV instead of receiver to TV, won't two different things needs to be adjusted when I want to use it. 1 being the A/V input on the receiver and the other being the one on the TV?

The only thing you will have to adjust is assigning on your receiver the device that your optical, analog or S-video cables are connected to. For instance on my TV my optical one is connected to my satellite and assigned to TV on my receiver, my optical 2 is assigned to DVD on my receiver and connected to my DVD player, and my XBOX 360 is assigned to optical 3.
So yes when watching TV, DVD or playing games the inputs will have to be changed on the tv and the receiver to the corresponding inputs, I'm not sure if connecting video through your receiver would change any of that.
The good news is you can buy a smart remote like the Logitech Harmony where you press one button, as in watch TV, play game or watch dvd and it will turn on the devices you want and set them to the to the correct input as well as control all of your equipment.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hambrabi), 957 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup