Print Thread
Rate Thread
Center Channel Muffled/too Much Bass
#172684 07/16/07 02:38 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Hi -
I just built out my family room and moved all of my speakers to this room and purchased a new receiver as well -
Whereas before these speaker were all freestandig, they're now built into custom cabinetry due to the Wife Factor.

My speakers consist of:

2 M80 V2's for the front, 1 VIP 150V2 for Center, 2 Speakercraft Aim 8's in the ceiling for surrond and a Sunfire Sub - I was powering this with an older Yamaha RXV992 before and now moved it temporarily to an Onkyo SR-504 entry level amp - The intention being to purchase some Rotel equipment in the future - The Onkyo is only rated at 6 & 8 Ohms although it seems to be powering my speakers OK - I also have my crossover set at 80 for the sub in the Onkyo - Everything sounds terrific EXCEPT for the center channel, it seems like I get too much Bass out of the center and akmost no high's, the soudn is muffled - It was much brighter before - I'm wonderign what could be the cause of this - Receiver? Speaker placement in the cabinet? I have taken off the grill and there is speaker cloth on the cabinet as well - The back of the cabinet is open, so the speaker has lots of air (is this a bad thing maybe??) - Any help would be appreciated - I'm
going nuts with this and I'm more than a little upset.

Jeremy

Re: Center Channel Muffled/too Much Bass
scoobydoo #172685 07/16/07 03:15 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Welcome Jeremy,
Have you tried pulling the VP150 out of the cabinet to see how it sounds, normally you would not want the speaker in an enclosed space. If it still sounds muffled at least you have eliminated the possibility of the cabinet causing the problem.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
scoobydoo #172686 07/16/07 03:18 PM
old hand
old hand
Quote:

Hi -
I just built out my family room and moved all of my speakers to this room and purchased a new receiver as well -
Whereas before these speaker were all freestandig, they're now built into custom cabinetry due to the Wife Factor.

My speakers consist of:

2 M80 V2's for the front, 1 VIP 150V2 for Center, 2 Speakercraft Aim 8's in the ceiling for surrond and a Sunfire Sub - I was powering this with an older Yamaha RXV992 before and now moved it temporarily to an Onkyo SR-504 entry level amp - The intention being to purchase some Rotel equipment in the future - The Onkyo is only rated at 6 & 8 Ohms although it seems to be powering my speakers OK - I also have my crossover set at 80 for the sub in the Onkyo - Everything sounds terrific EXCEPT for the center channel, it seems like I get too much Bass out of the center and akmost no high's, the soudn is muffled - It was much brighter before - I'm wonderign what could be the cause of this - Receiver? Speaker placement in the cabinet? I have taken off the grill and there is speaker cloth on the cabinet as well - The back of the cabinet is open, so the speaker has lots of air (is this a bad thing maybe??) - Any help would be appreciated - I'm
going nuts with this and I'm more than a little upset.

Jeremy

Two things...you say that the speakers are now inside cabinets? Even with the backs open I do believe that this could be adding to your problem. However, you also say that you are using a new receiver? Well now you have 2 changes in play that could be causing your problem. It's much like computer software. Make only one change at a time so that if something's not right you can UNDO the most recent change and get back to where you were. Therefore, if the cabinets must remain, then why not try swapping out your new receiver for the old one and see how it sounds then. If that fixes the problem, then at least you know it's the receiver and not the cabinets. How ironic that the post right ahead of yours is a complaint that he doesn't get enough bass out of his VP150 and you are getting too much. Keep your center set at small, and the x-over at 80. Check what the TONE settings are in the receiver. Start at zero for both bass and treble and work your way from there. Because of the new room, (which is actually the 3rd change in your setup) the cabinets, and the new receiver, you are just going to have to tweek your settings. Then again, at the worst, you will have to scrap the cabinets! Sorry!

"Tis better to desire that which you do not have, than to have that which you do not desire!"
HomeDad #172687 07/16/07 03:19 PM
S
OP Offline
S
I'll be pulling it out as soon as I get home - The speakers are flush with the grill cloth on the cabinet, so I'm not sure why I would have much of an issue.. the M80's sound great - Its not a closed space, there is air all around and its open in back

scoobydoo #172688 07/16/07 03:45 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The technical answer is "The surfaces in the cabinets cavity at each side and above and below it, create a set of near-field reflections that don't exist when the speaker operates normally unencumbered by cabinetry. These cancel and reinforce at various frequencies, affecting the linearity of the system and producing all kinds of nasty anomalies and unmusical colorations"

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
scoobydoo #172689 07/17/07 01:30 AM
veteran
veteran
Quote:

I'll be pulling it out as soon as I get home -

hehe

Jordan #172690 07/17/07 02:18 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Sometimes you just can't wait.

scoobydoo #172691 07/17/07 07:24 PM
old hand
old hand
Could it be that some damage happened on the move? You may want to run a frequency sweep and check that there is anything coming from the tweeters.

pmbuko #172692 07/17/07 09:13 PM
veteran
veteran
Quote:

Sometimes you just can't wait.

Indeed!

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,026 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup