Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
upgrade home theater system please help
#111939 10/03/05 06:34 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Hi guys, I'm very much interested in upgrading my home theater system and was recomended that Axiom makes very fine speakers . I currently own a htib (Sony Dav-fc8). My tv is a sony xbr 40" crt and my rooms dimentions are aproximately 16X18. I'm interested in the Epic 80 500. Would these speakers be too powerful for my room and go with a lower end speaker system. My current price range is up to or around $3,000 for speakers and an additional 1000 for a new receiver. I was recomended the Denon 3805 to go with the Axion Epic 80 500. How would these speakers compare to other high end speakers such as Klipsh, Infiniti, Paradign, etc. I was told that bose does not make good speakers and that they are overpriced. They did sound pretty good in the stores though. I'm pretty much a newb to home theater speakers and dont know what really good speakers sound like. Comments appreciated, Thanks Stu

Re: upgrade home theater system please help
#111940 10/03/05 08:28 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I'll take a shot at this first.

Would the speakers be too powerful for your room ?

No, there are people here running M80s in somewhat smaller rooms with great success. There are a couple of reasons for thinking about a smaller system though -- first that you could spend less $$ and be almost as happy with the results, and second that any of these speakers need to be out away from the wall a bit to sound their best (maybe 12-18" from the back of the speaker to the wall behind them) and some people aren't able to accomodate M80s in their rooms without sticking 'em right against the walls. M80s are a couple of inches deeper front to back than M60s so make sure you can give them the room they need.

The reason I mention $$ is that if you found yourself looking at a 7.1 system (the prices are for 5.1) or if $3K were a hard limit (80/500 is about $3200) going from M80 to M60 would IMO be the lowest-impact way to keep the price in line.

How high is the ceiling ?

How do these speakers compare to other high end speakers ?

General consensus seems to be that Axioms are all-round better than Infinities, more clear than the Paradigms albeit with a bit less bass, and less harsh than the Klipsch speakers but otherwise comparable. If you are comparing to (say) the Paradigm Monitor speakers they sound a bit better and cost a bit less.

Bose... they did sound pretty good in the stores though...

Yep, the Bose do sound pretty good at the store and will sound pretty good at home. The Axioms (or any comparable full size speaker) properlly set up, however, will be AWESOME. Once you hear a really good high end home theater system you will understand where the Bose systems fit in the food chain. Our only criticisms of the Bose systems is that (a) they seem overpriced for what you get (although prices have come down by almost 50% in my area and now are not so bad), and (b) the speakers are just too small to make an effective home theater system (ie a system which can give you an experience comparable to or better than a real movie theater).

Having said that, BOSE have a very high WAF (Wife Approval Factor) and do sound pretty good given the size of the speakers.... they just aren't in the same league as a good full-sized system.

Bottom line is that there is nothing "magical" about Axioms -- they just tend to be pretty good for the $$ and have a fairly consistent sound across the whole product line, with big systems able to play more loudly and fill larger rooms than the smaller systems (which, surprisingly enough, is not the case for all speaker systems).

Welcome to the board.

John

Last edited by bridgman; 10/03/05 08:44 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
#111941 10/03/05 09:54 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Welcome TechGuy,

I don't really have anything to add becauese Bridgman (John) did a fabulous job of answering your questions. I don't feel he overstated or understated anything. Keep in mind that speaker preference is very subjective. All of us here feel that Axiom makes a quality product at a very reasonable price. But, only you can decide if the Axiom sound is for you.

John, that was perhaps one of the best, evenhanded, honest responses I've run across on any forum.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#111942 10/03/05 12:57 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Well said John! I have nothing to add more than that. It would be great if you had the chance to audition some Axioms at somebody's. You can check "Hearing things" thread for people close to you. Good luck with your decision!!

Axiom M60s, QS4s, VP100 Onkyo TX-SR804 Oppo 970HD Rotel RB-1080/RCD-1072 REL Q150E sub, PS 3
#111943 10/03/05 05:27 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I started with 60-500 and moved up to 80-500 in the thirty day trial because I could afford the 80s. I am extremely pleased with Axioms. Great bang for the buck! I added Outlaw Monoblocks because I could, not because I had to. The 80's thrive on power, but sound just as good at low volume as at high. I may yet move up the the EP600.

#111944 10/03/05 10:17 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Welcome, Stu -

Mr. Bridgman took good care of you. I'll nominate him for Moderator of the Day, or some other useless title.

Unless it's a high ceiling or you like insane volumes, the M60's would probably be fine. Consider the HK receivers also.

You must promise us that you are neither ProTech nor TechPro. Your username gives me the willies.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#111945 10/03/05 11:02 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
In reply to:

You must promise us that you are neither ProTech nor TechPro. Your username gives me the willies.

I hate to say it but that was the first thing I thought of when I saw the user name.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044