Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Impressions of my axioms... with PICS
#189625 12/26/07 02:27 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Ok, so I have had about a month or so to listen to my axioms now.

All technical details aside, here is a quick review of the first month with my axioms.

For those who don't know I got the m80's, vp150, QS8's and ep500. I also just got a denon 3808. I upgraded from a $400 JVC boombox so of course I was expecting a HUGE improvement.
Well, let's just say the improvement was slightly bigger than I expected.

I calibrated everything with the audessey eq auto setup with my denon. I wasn't completely satisfied with the results so I purchased an spl meter and began tweaking. After I moved the furniture around a bit and spread out the m80's some, I re-ran the audessey set up. The results were much better. I fine tuned things a bit with my newly acquired SPL meter, and am very happy with how things sound. I have my m80's 11.4 feet apart, and I sit 11.4 feet away from each one (when sitting in the middle of the couch).

My right surround is next to my brick fireplace, while my left surround is next to my opening to my kitchen. I was concerned that things may sound funny since one surround was close to a corner with the brick while the other was next to the opening to my kitchen (as seen in the photos.) I am pleased to say that I have not noticed any abnormal surround effects due to my placement and can confirm the 'ease of placement' statement regarding the QS8's. The audessey eq did create different eq curves for the left and right surrounds during setup, so it may be evening things out a bit.

I have really been listening to A LOT more music then I EVER used to. I was about 5 minutes late to work everyday in the morning and after lunch for the first week I had my speakers because I wanted to get in 'just one song' or do a 'small amount of tweaking' on my break.

The m80's really do sound as great as everyone says they do. To be honest, I think they sound even better in my house than when I auditioned them. This is of course due to the fact that I was able to calibrate/position/ and tweak things to my liking.

Some music cd's that I have listened to and been really impressed with are:

* Dave Matthews Band and Time reynolds: live at luther college
This cd sounds incredible on the m80's. It sounds like someone is literally playing a guitar in my loving room.

* Pink Floyd: Pulse
The live version of the dark side of the moon is incredible. track number 2 was simply amazing. I swear I heard all kinds of noises coming from my left, right, and behind me. I even got up to check that my center and surrounds were not on.... I was surprised when it was just the m80's creating such a "3-dimensional soundstage". Out of all of the listening that I have done, this cd is the only one that has given my denon a slight problem. I think this cd has a very wide dynamic range, because listening at loud levels the denon breifly 'cut out' and then sound resumed on two occasions. This only happened at 'above normal' listening levels while I was test driving my system.

An audio HD-DVD I listened to was:
* The Eagles Live from melbourne farewell tour I
All I can say is WOW. The sound was crsip, clean and clear. I was able to drive my 5.1 setup to 100 db without the denon giving me a single problem.

Some movies I watched were:

*Hot Fuzz, HD DVD
The last 30 minutes had my living room shaking with all of the gunshots and explosions

*Harry Potter, order of the Phoenix, DVD
There was a particular part of the movie where the proffessor said "I will not go quietly" and a bird came flying out from behind him at the blink of an eye. He clapped his hands and vanished after a loud explosion. I could swear I felt the pressure in my room change from the ep-500, and the explosion went from my fronts to my surrounds in one seamless transition. Between the pressure change and the use of the surrounds, I felt like I was getting blown back onto my couch. I replayed this short segment about 3 times to relive the experience ;\)

I also downloaded an LFE demo disk from AVS forum. I watched some scenes from the haunting, finding nemo and others. The ep-500 seemed to do a great job with all the LFE I threw at it. The only problem I have is a slight rattle from the 500 which I have mentioned before. A new amp in en route via DHL as we speak courtesy of axiom's wonderful customer support. Hopefully the new amp will resolve my rattle issue.

Here are some pictures of my setup: Note that we have not hung any pictures up around the living room yet

All wires hidden with the exception of one hdmi cable. I had a 6footer... Need to buy a 12 footer to hide along the baseboard

Please ignore the green floral wallpaper \:\) I will be stripping and painting this if my landlord decides to pay me for the task.

Pic of the back of my 3808. Notice the labels on the bananna plugs. I realized that labeling was a good idea since there is no way to trace the speaker cables easily because they are all zip-tied together

Notice the 20+ zip ties used to hide my wires. Also note the ground isolator at the back of my cable box that I purchased from axiom. This product elimnated my subwoofer hum 100%. I was reimbursed $48 by my cable company for it \:\)

-David
Re: Impressions of my axioms... with PICS
terzaghi #189626 12/26/07 02:52 AM
shareholder in the making
Moderately nice, T(a reduction in rating had to be made because of the wallpaper). It's good to hear that the cable company did come through with the reimbursement for the ground loop isolator. Enjoy your new sounds.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

terzaghi #189628 12/26/07 02:56 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Welcome to the club! The pleasure will only continue if not increase!

See Mojo's signature
terzaghi #189630 12/26/07 03:07 AM
H
buff
buff
H
First-off, is that guitar from GH2 or GH3? I have aced the first version and will be picking up number 3 soon. I already played #2 (borrowed from a friend)

Sounds like you are enjoying it. Do you find yourself listening to more 5.1 music or just 2.1? or just 2.0?

I prefer the 2.1 setup over the 5.1. It sounds more natural to me but this is a personal preference thing and most of my CDs are not recorded in surround.

Last edited by hammer; 12/26/07 03:09 AM.

AV equipment (in case you care)Panasonic TH-50PE700U,PS3 80GB,HK 445,Axiom M60,QS4,VP100,Hsu VTF2.3
hammer #189634 12/26/07 05:13 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Nice! I would experiment with toeing in the M80's and moving them a bit further from the wall and see how that sounds. Optimally, it's best to have the mains a little more close to you and for the speakers all to be pointing to a point in the middle of a circle.

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
danmagicman7 #189637 12/26/07 06:19 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
hammer, that is for guitar hero III, but I think it is the same guitar that they have for GH II. I will be trying to find a wireless guitar possibly in the future.

dan, The m80's are about 7" from the wall or so, lined up with the TV and center channel. I had them toed in a bit more before, and now I am experimenting with a very slight toe in, if any at all.

I will probably experiment with the placement/ toe in some more in the future.

Last edited by terzaghi; 12/26/07 06:20 AM.

-David
terzaghi #189640 12/26/07 07:02 AM
J
J
Nice write up and I liked the pics(even with the wall paper;\)).

I just spent most of this afternoon and this evening setting up my new 3808 and I love it.

The Wii has very strong audio signals and I always had to drop the volume on my old Denon 1804 by 10db on the dial, not any more with the ability to set the input signal on the 3808. I just finished equalizing all my input signals. I won't even go into the EQ curves I have, they are just huge roller coasters.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #189643 12/26/07 12:48 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Nice set-up, Enjoy.

Dave
DaveG #189645 12/26/07 03:43 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

That is a very good looking set up.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

terzaghi #189646 12/26/07 04:45 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Nice, terzaghi! I agree with JohnK, points off for the floral wallpaper. \:D

That's a clean and sleek looking set up. I, too, labeled the analog connections--what a help.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020