Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Review: M22 significantly better than M80
#33089 02/05/04 07:34 AM
pmbuko Offline OP
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
No, not that M80, this M80. Now that I've got your attention...

Introduction

I just got back from my audition of the Newton M80s at the local Cambridge Soundworks store in Berkeley. My first impression of the M80 was "Damn, that's a big bookshelf speaker!" I was expecting something a bit smaller. It's slightly shorter, but is significantly wider and deeper than the M22. Due to the Axiom's wedge shape, I'd estimate that the Newton M80 has at least twice the internal volume of the M22. After getting over the initial shock of the speaker's size, I noted its very attractive finish. Real wood veneer does a lot to make an otherwise plain box speaker look attractive.

Getting my bearings...

I then took in my surroundings. The audition space was set up similar to my living room (with the exception of the number of speakers!). A soft couch was positioned directly in front of a TV. On either side of the TV were the speakers. In between the couch and TV sat a coffee table. I also noted that the M80s were about the same distance from my seat as my M22s are at home. On to the music! (Obligatory disclaimer: all comparisons to the M22 are done on a strictly from memory basis. I did go immediately home after the audition and played several of the same tracks on my M22s so I could make better comparisons.)

Audition notes

The first track I played was from Dave Matthews / Tim Reynolds, Live at Luther College. What struck me right away was the pleasantly forward sound of the guitars. The highs were definitely not lacking in detail. All the harmonics that accompany guitar plucking and strumming were coming through well. When Dave started singing, however, I noted a slight bloat in the midrange. Nothing too unpleasant, but it added a coloration to his voice that wasn't to my liking. I couldn't help but think what his voice would sound like if only speakers were wedge shaped. The last thing I noted on this track was the great soundstage. When the crowd cheered, the ambiance of the hall came through very well.

As that CD doesn't contain much bass, we moved on to The Waifs, Up all Night, track 6. Again, the highs came through very crisp and detailed. The female vocals on this song were also pleasantly rendered. The acoustic bass, however, was noticeably boomy. It could be that the speakers weren't ideally positioned, but the boominess definitely detracted from the music. The M80s do go deeper than M22s -- with their greater internal volume and 8" woofers they'd better -- but they don't go there as neutrally.

The last CD I played was The Randy Newman Songbook. I picked a familiar track and listened carefully. The piano intro came through pretty well with the sound coming from a distinctly centered image. When he started singing, however, I noted a distinct edginess to his voice. Now Randy Newman doesn't have the smoothest of voices, but I thought the speakers accentuated that in a negative way.

Back at home with my M22s

You know the saying about taking guns from cold, dead hands? That's exactly how I feel about my M22s after listening to these 3 tracks again at home. I can't compare anything more than general impressions at this point (because little Steven didn't want me to right the review this evening...), but all I can say is that the M22 is noticeably more neutral and uncolored in the midrange and bass region than the Newton M80s. The music just comes together in a very convincing way. You hear the music more than you hear the speaker.

Closing thoughts

I think The Axiom Wedge is a really great innovation that gives their speakers an unfair advantage over conventional speakers. Right off the bat, they remove the possibility of box bloat (caused by internal standing waves) that plagues so many other speakers. With the M80s, this bloat was most evident in male vocals (the speakers do much better with female vocals) and bass.

It's getting late now (and the baby might wake up at any minute), so I think I'll close there. I hope it's clear which speaker I prefer.

If anyone wants clarification on any aspect, I'll do my best to follow up.

Re: Review: M22 significantly better than M80
#33090 02/05/04 07:45 AM
Peter, I bet that did get the attention of those who didn't know of your quest.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#33091 02/05/04 01:14 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
Nice review Peter! Thanks. What's next?

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#33092 02/05/04 01:44 PM
axiomite
axiomite
"No, not that M80, this M80."

Peter, you crack me up. When I was a kid an M80 was a loud firecracker. I suppose they're still around, but I haven't played with explosive devices since returning from Viet Nam.

Taking into consideration your perfectly reasonable, and understandable, bias in favor of the 22s, I'm very glad to hear your impressions. The M80s were what I was considering before I stumbled across this loony bin, and I'm sure glad I did. My 22s should ship next week. Thanks for the review.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#33093 02/05/04 05:46 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I'd like to say thanks to Peter for his time and effort checking the M80s (CSW) against the M22s. I've decided to take his advise and pull the trigger while I can. I have the M80s at home now (can return until the 27th of this month) so ordered the M22s just now and will have them tomorrow. I'll be able to listen to both and compare at home. I do like the m80s. Far and away over the crappy wharfdale system I bought on ubid in 1999.
I'm hoping I won't want to return the M22s (since i just have to take the M80s a few blocks for a full refund!).

James (newbie to this 'best sound possible thing' and afraid... very very afraid)

PS any advice/recommendations for what to listen to/for would be appreciated.

Last edited by James_R; 02/05/04 06:20 PM.

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
#33094 02/05/04 06:57 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Demo suggestions:

Jazz: Norah Jones Pretty standard demo disc.
Pop/Dance: Kristine W An unusually well recorded/engineered piece of dance/pop
Country: Johnny Cash You don't have to be a big country fan to appreciate some of the items on this treasure.
Classical: Holst: Planets (This particular recording is pretty amazing.)

and for a simply wonderful recording: Dead Can Dance (track #1 is especially fun)

#33095 02/05/04 08:22 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
James, please report your findings for us! Even if you find that (gasp...) you don't agree with Peter. We're pretty much in favor of civil, honest discussion around here. Except for tubes and cables, but I digress.

Anyway, your impending side-by-side comparisons could really add value to the general knowledge base for people considering these speakers, so let us know how it works out.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#33096 02/06/04 12:10 AM
R
R
Thanks for the very thorough assessment of these two speakers. It was I who first raised the question on this board a few days ago. I now have the answer thanks to you and others who passed on their experience.

I live about 100 miles away from the Axiom warehouse in Ontario. Guess where I'm headed in a few days.

#33097 02/06/04 12:14 AM
pmbuko Offline OP
OP Offline
You lucky dog.

#33098 02/06/04 01:29 AM
Craig, good to see that you picked up that Dutoit Planets which is one that we discussed. Besides the Dutoit, another one that I mentioned and have is the Mehta, which you should get(you can never have too many).

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,304 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup