A friend of mine came over with his fiance for a bbq 2 weeks ago and after splitting a couple of bottles of wine, beer and glasses of port, we ventured downstairs to watch a dvd with the surround system all rigged to go.
After waking up the next morning and realizing the receiver was still on, i went to shut it off and had noticed the volume notch was set for 85 (on the Onkyo 0-100 scale).
Out of curiousity i decided to measure the sound levels at this unprecedented volume setting.
The Radio Shack SPL peaked around 105dB from the listening position with music, and around 103dB on average for a couple of parts of the movie which incidentally was Braveheart. The distance away was 8 feet.

I'm curious, has anyone else really pushed their systems and if so, just how loud did it get?
Just for reference 120dB is about the sound level of a jet plane taking off while 100dB is a pneumatic drill and chainsaw level.(see list).

Oddly enough his fiance actually fell asleep during the last half of the movie. Truly amazing.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."