Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Is anyone using Sherwood Newcastle receivers...
#183116 11/12/07 04:55 AM
P
Phil777 Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
P
With their Axiom speaker systems. Seems like an easy solution since Axiom offers them. Simplifies the shopping but is it the best option. I'm planning on purchasing a home theatre package, probably M22s, QS8s, VP100, EP175 and looking for some recommendations on the best receivers and models that'll work well and make the Axiom package sound as great as all the Axiom reviews.
Thanks for any advice.
Phil

Re: Is anyone using Sherwood Newcastle receivers...
Phil777 #183119 11/12/07 05:06 AM
M
shareholder in the making
M
Phil,

Apparently Axiom chose SN after their own tests. I believe I read something from Alan Lofft that indicated SN's power supply and build quality is exceptional. SN apparently designs and builds components for others. Denon is one that I know about.

The speaker package that you are considering is not demanding in terms of power. As long as you find a receiver that has the features that are important to you, you will be satisfied.

What is the volume of your space and how far away do you plan on sitting from your fronts?

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Re: Is anyone using Sherwood Newcastle receivers...
Phil777 #183123 11/12/07 05:25 AM
Phil, welcome. As Mo indicated, the Axiom speakers don't have any unusual power requirements and any competently-designed unit should "work well" with them. There's no need to be concerned that the Axiom sound quality would depend on your choice of receiver.

As usual, get the features that you want at a price within your budget. If you were a little more specific, some suggestions could be made.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Re: Is anyone using Sherwood Newcastle receivers..
Mojo #183124 11/12/07 05:44 AM
P
Phil777 Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
P
Thank you for the quick replies. I was hoping Axiom was offering SN to enhance their own products so that's good to know. I basically chose that package after reading through Alan's articles, the theatre package info on Axiom's site and this great forum. My space is approx. 20x20 and we'll be sitting about 17 back from the fronts with the next room quite open for sound to travel. From what I read, recommendations are a must on a subwoofer but I was wondering if I could get away without one. Any thoughts on a subwoofer and any other options to consider in the whole package would be appreciated.

Phil

Last edited by Phil777; 11/12/07 05:46 AM. Reason: additional info
Phil777 #183125 11/12/07 05:52 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
For a couple hundred dollars more than the EP175, it sounds like the EP350 v3 might be the way to go, assuming it's not physically too big for your tastes. I don't know of anyone who has one yet, but Axiom's comments about it sure make it enticing. Hopefully some more people will chime in shortly with more meaningful responses. \:\)

I don't know if I'd go without a subwoofer when using bookshelf speakers. I was using M80 floorstanders by themselves, and they were great for most material, but the extra oomph of a subwoofer really does help. Not that it's a necessity, since obviously most people satisfy themselves with much lesser systems than even unaccompanied M22s.

CV #183129 11/12/07 06:41 AM
devotee
devotee
I'm using the SN R-771 and really like it.

You should note, though, that none of these receivers are HDMI so your audio may be restricted (ie to analog outs for SACD etc). I know that before I got my new system the thought of wanting HDMI was quite far from my mind. If you're moving from normal, crappy speakers up to Axioms you may find that your tastes also move up! I went from 80% HT to 80% music when I upgraded. Rushed out and got an Oppo for playing SACD/DVD-A when I thought the idea laughable three months ago. Just be aware that not all audio is transferable on TOSLINK, and any player you may have (ie PS3) may not have the requisite analog outs for full sound (fortunately the Oppo does).

Other than that caveat the SN is great!

M80s/VP160/QS8s/EP350; M22s; M3s.
doormat #183130 11/12/07 06:47 AM
devotee
devotee
As for a subwoofer, I have the M3s (w/6.5" woofer) which don't really need a sub for playing a lot of current pop music but really shine with one for older rock. The M22s only have the 5.25" woofers and really like being paired with a sub, or so the owners of 22s all seem to say.

M80s/VP160/QS8s/EP350; M22s; M3s.
CV #183131 11/12/07 07:12 AM
M
M
Phil,

It sounds like your main space is at least 3200 cubic feet. Since it's open to another room, that's even more space that you need to pressurize. If you plan on watching movies in this space, you must equip the room with an EP500 or an EP600 subwoofer (or equivalent). If the space next to your room is open to the rest of your house, an EP600 is a must. You will deprive yourself of a good part of the home theatre experience with a smaller subwoofer. You will hear with a smaller sub but you will not feel. You will sense the presence of effects but you will not be immersed in them.

If you plan on listening to music only and don't want to shell out money for a subwoofer, I highly recommend you purchase M80s. These will provide you with excellent bass. I am not a believer in listening to music without a sub but if you must, the 80s are the way to go. I continue to be amazed with these speakers not only because of the prodigious amount of high quality bass but also because of their warmth, accuracy, balance, imaging and clarity. The 22s on the other hand will provide you with less bass, warmth and balance. The 80s will involve you in the music to a greater degree than the 22s.

If you want music and movies but are financially strapped, buy the 80s now and save for the sub. You have a large space, you will be sitting very far away and you therefore are an excellent candidate for a larger system. If you absolutely must have a sub now, you have the choice of many vendors for theatre. Just understand that, in my opinion, others' subs may be no where near as musical as Axiom's DSP-based subs. They may present the bass on top of the remainder of the music making it difficult for you to decide what exactly to listen to. The Axiom DSP-based subs on the other hand, weave the bass into the music for a totally seamless presentation. You don't even realize that a sub exists. The transparency is uncanny and you really have to hear the difference to understand and believe what I am referring to.

I hope this doesn't discourage you. It's better to start off a piece at a time and build an exceptional system than to buy it all at once only to be disappointed and crave an upgrade. On the other hand, you may never really know what you are missing with a smaller system. But one day you may find out, and then the upgrade bug will infect you and the only cure may be to spend more.

House of the Rising Sone
Mojo #183133 11/12/07 07:30 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Tex, now I'm convinced you work in the marketing department for Axiom. Either that, or you're getting a percentage for every M80 sold.

Reveal your true identity!

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #183163 11/12/07 04:08 PM
M
M
There's no doubt Sean that I am developing some strong opinions based on my own experiences. The 80s are truly spectacular. And the 600, although devoid of the initial slam and tightness that I so much crave, has other attributes that I haven't heard from other subs. Its ability to blend, its smoothness and transparency is a thing to behold. I wouldn't give that up for more initial snap although I am keeping an open mind about a sub that will give me everything I crave for.

House of the Rising Sone
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Kevin1), 1,067 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup