I bought my M60 5 years ago. It was my first large audio system. I bought a $700 Denon receiver with 7.1 channels to drive the speakers. It was not a very cheap receiver that you can buy from Bestbuy, but not a serious audio amplifier either as there was a budget constraint at that time. I was under the impression that speaker is the most important component of an audio system if you want good audio quality. So I put my bet on the Axiom M60 after I saw so many good review online.

I was really a little disappointed when I heard the first sound from the speaker after I hooked up everything and put my favorite CD in the player. I had such a high expectation due to those good reviews. I even posted a message on this forum to ask what is wrong with my system. There was a lot of suggestions from the speaker fans, like the placement of the speakers, window locations, music CD quality, etc. No suggestions worked. Later I visited one of my friends' house and he happened to play a classical CD through a pair of B & W speakers. I immediately realized that the sound from the B & W speakers was much better. So for a period of time of 5 years, I believed my M60 was not that great and gave up figuring out what was wrong.

Finally, I got some budget to upgrade my system. I bought a Rotel 1550 pre-amp and a Rotel 1582 power amplifier. Those are for two channel stereo systems. I was thinking I can upgrade my speakers at a later time. That came out to be a very good decision. You know what. My M60 turned into such a great speaker with the amplifier immediately. For 5 years, I did not know I have really good audio speakers because I did not use the right equipment to drive them. The difference is day and night. Every single good review on the speakers is confirmed. All my CD collection turns alive. They sound like a Hi-Fi version of my previous CD. Now you know you cannot just put your money on the speakers. You also need serious amplifiers. That $700 receiver put a lot of the cost on those electronics that I never really used. The Rotel pre-amp and power amp cost me a total of $2000 and all the money is put on the amplification of the two channel signals, not on any unnecessary electronics like radio receiver, 7.1 channels, etc.

In the end, I am very happy with the M60 and will not upgrade them for a long time now.