Rate Thread
Should I invest in a CD Player?
#120692 12/14/05 08:42 PM
dajlc Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Hi Folks,

Being a relatively new player in this field, I would like some advice from you experts out there on the following issues.

Q1 Is it true that, when playing a CD, the quality of the sound, ie, detail and clarity from a dvd player cannot match those from a stand alone CD player?

Q2 I was looking at an Arcam CD player when someone suggested a "Shanling CD80-T", a relatively unknown (to me, anyway) company from China. Apparently, this mob is giving the big boys a run for the money, in terms of quality and pricing. I've listened to both, although, not side by side and I think Shanling is ahead, both in terms of sound and pricing. Any feed back on these two CD players would be much appreciated.

Q3 Would an upgrade of speaker cables really make an obvious difference in the sound?

Q4 I was informed by an owner of an audio store that SACD is a failure. Big company like Sony had stopped production on SACD players. True?

Looking forward to your replies.

Thanks

DC

dajlc
Re: Should I invest in a CD Player?
#120693 12/14/05 08:58 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
Q#1 How would you be connecting the cd player. If you are using coax or optical from the cd player to the receiver there will be no difference in sound, the dacs of the receiver would be handling the conversion.

Q#2. I think if you are wanting a dedicated cd player you could do better for the money than those you mention.

Q#3. No !

Q#4. I have no idea, but I seriously doubt that would be the case.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#120694 12/14/05 09:06 PM
shareholder in the making
Q1: depends on the brands and models, if you have a crappy DVD player, it is possible the CD player may perform better.

Q2: ditto what Wid says.

Q3: Usually copper is copper, I suppose if your comparing the small stuff that comes with the Sony HTIB compared to real wire, there would be a difference.

Q4: I think the SACD people would argue this guy.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

#120695 12/15/05 04:57 AM
DC, a CD/DVD player has a dual laser, with a 780nm wavelength which is optimal for reading CDs and 650nm, which is optimal for DVDs/DVD-As/SACDs. The source of the report that you mention is uninformed.

Speaker cables of adequate gauge for the distance of the run(16ga is fine up to 30' or so)are all entirely adequate for the job and there can't be any resulting sound difference. The electromagnetic field which carries the power and information travels along the outside of the wire. The part of the wave that penetrates into the wire to guide it to its destination is lost as heat and doesn't directly contribute to the sound. So, different metals, twists, etc. can have no possible effect on sound quality, and blind tests fail to show differences previously claimed.

Not familiar with the players, but if otherwise suitable for you, go with the lower pricing.

Both DVD-A and SACD are generally viewed as commercial failures and likely to be no more than a tiny niche in the market, if they survive at all. Rumors to that effect have appeared, but there appears to be no solid evidence to back up the Sony report.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#120696 12/15/05 05:16 AM
aficionado
aficionado
If you have a lot of redbook CDs, I would strongly recommend a dedicated Cd player. I have Rotel RCD-1072 and I am more than happy. It retails for around $700 U.S. Good luck with your choice!

Axiom M60s, QS4s, VP100 Onkyo TX-SR804 Oppo 970HD Rotel RB-1080/RCD-1072 REL Q150E sub, PS 3
#120697 12/15/05 08:52 AM
veteran
veteran
I believe the Music Hall CD25.2 and the Onix CD-88 are made by Shanling. The Music Hall is a very well liked player. I have heard it several times auditioning speakers and have liked what I heard. I've read that Sony plans to stop making SACD's after Blu-Ray is out. Sounds like that's the end to me.

#120698 12/15/05 09:52 AM
buff
buff
Re Q1, if a CD has scratches then a better player might compensate better (I have CDs that play nicely on my DVD player but have problems in my $40 boom box). But even a used $5 CD-ROM reader on your computer will get the same digital info from a clean disk as a $800 Denon. The difference in analog output quality will of course vary, and you probably could get as animated a discussion on the merits of D/As as you might on a discussion of solid state vs tube amps. I think my $90 DVD player provides adequate CD sound for my $1500 total cost sound system.

However, real, practical differences exist between DVD players for CDs and CD players.
1. It's easier to find DVD players, single & multi disk
2. DVD players tend to be cheaper. Nobody sells dirt cheap CD players any more
3. You can get a DVD player at Costco, Wal-mart etc., but probably not a CD player
4. DVD players nowadays require you to use on-screen menus for lots of functions, but CD players will have everything on the front panel. That means that if you're just listening to CDs and you want to select "repeat play", you may need to attach a TV to your DVD to figure out how to get to that menu! I chose my DVD changer (a Panasonic) because it had a repeat play button on the front, and that's not typical.
5. A DVD player may not have a counter on the front panel, but a CD player probably will

If money and space were irrelevant (I use the DVD for home theatre too) I'd prefer a CD player for sure.

--Martin

#120699 12/15/05 02:44 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

Nobody sells dirt cheap CD players any more

Case in point...

M22ti mains, EP175 sub, VP150 center, QS4 surrounds
#120700 12/15/05 03:14 PM
aficionado
aficionado
1. While the gap closes with the higher end DVD players with better DACs If you were to consider them $ for $ and running analog a CD player would generally outperform a DVD player.

2. Arcam and Shanling make great players. I have been looking to buying one myself so a friend of mine brought over his AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD player to try out on my system last month. This player is essentially a modded Marantz with tubes and a beefed up amp. My friend had tested it against both those players and was more impressed with its clarity and soundstage. At my place we compared it to my Panasonic dvd s_97 and it was no contest in favour of the Ah.

3. Get 12 guage copper wire at Home Depot and don't worry about this topic anymore.

4. I hear the same rumours but see there sure is a large selection of dvd-a and sacds this holiday season.

John
#120701 12/15/05 08:26 PM
dajlc Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
Guys,

Thanks for your response.
The detailed explanation from JohnK only shows how much more I can learn about the technical part of our "tools of mass destruction".

DoubtingThomas, I've also read that, for years, company like Shanling in China have been main player in producing hi-end units for big players that sell them to us at obscene prices. It is only in recently that they decided to come out of the closet and show us their own products. Have a look at Shanling T100 and T200 CD players and you'll know what I meant. Simply awesome!

Jakeman, I've never heard of AH! Njoe 4000 CD player. Where is it from?

To the rest of the gang, thanks again for your feedback.

Catch you again soon.

DC

dajlc

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082