Hello to all and a quicks thank you to you & Axiom for providing such a great forum!

I just started getting into this scene in January & am now thoroughly hooked. I have been piecing my system together since then and only need to get my center channel, a VP100 which I will be ordering this week, to complete my system (for now!). I just received my sub last week & have been constantly tinkering since then to get the most out of it. Anyway, I have a couple of questions that I hope y'all can help me out with regarding my setup.

I have yet to purchase a SPL meter or calibration disc and have been relying on MCACC to handle all of my setup functions thus far. I had read somewhere that when setting up my sub I should turn up the gain on my sub about 1/3 of the way and run MCACC and adjust the gain up incrementally until I was able to achive a speaker level on the sub as close to zero as possible. I was able to hit zero exactly by turning up the gain to just under the 11:00 position. My results for all channels is as follows:

Left Front: +4.5dB
Right Front: +4.0dB
Left Surr.: +2.0dB
Right Surr.: +2.0dB
Sub: 0.0dB

In various forums I have read that the sub level should then be adjusted from +1.0 to +3.0dB louder than the mains. Does this mean that I should be setting the sub level in a range from +4.5 to 6.0dB or does that mean adding +1.0 to +3.0dB to zero?

Also, when I ran MCACC I had set my crossover to 80Hz but that sounded rather harsh so I upped it to 100Hz & the sound improved dramatically. It sounded like there was a serious dip in output in the mid freqs (a big hole). Why would upping the crossover freq take away the harshness? I must say that at 80Hz the sound from my M22's literally hurt my ears. I don't understand why simply bumping up my crossover would reduce the high frequency sharpness.

Let me say upfront that I love my system so far. My Axioms are such a joy! I have had friends over who spent much more on their speakers and they get really pissed when they hear mine and especially when they find out how much I spent. I even have a couple of co-workers wanting to buy Axioms.

Anyway, thanks for any help you can provide & I look forward to chatting with y'all in the future.

Pioneer VSX1014-TX HK DVD31 M22ti mains VP100 center M2i surrounds SVS PB10-ISD