All these variables are what make this a great hobby or rather, lifestyle.

I totally agree with all the comments above.

But with anything that is considered subjective ( once we get past the initial and measurable science ) it all comes down to preference in the moment. There’s sooooo much more going on than just the measurable science. The vibrations for the woofers enter our ears and our brains react with chemicals and hormones / physiological responses that affect our whole body. Including memory and emotion. Amazing !!!

If I walk into an old barn or workshop and there’s country music playing quietly on an old single speaker on an AM radio station I go into full nostalgia of memory of my grandpa’s barn. It’s as emotional as a perfectly rendered symphony in a large space in full 24/192 on maybe the best system out here. Sometimes it’s quiet jazz in the dark with variable loudness engaged to allow fletcher munson curve work it’s magic. I guess that’s the beauty is that the music can transport us anywhere so to speak. So it’s subjective. I wouldn’t want to listen on a single AM band speaker all the time , I want it to be as close to the real thing as possible just like the next guy but it’s fun to be ok with it not being perfect. Sometime I play early 90’s rap and back the ports right up to the wall and drop the bass and treble knob both into the 5 o clock position, tint and boom! Just like my ridiculous truck that had dual subs back when I thought that was cool.

Anyway I guess we / I just need to define our goals and what is good for us and enjoy it. Sometimes it’s just the experience that is super fun.

I will admit though the most satisfying times I’ve had listening to music is definitely when the recording is superb and playing in a good quality system and the room is just working and I’m in the right emotional state and just smile and say out loud “ oh hell yeah !” And the goosebumps too!