Ok. I read all the articles. Based on their information (I should note without citation to any external sources in them) I think the following.

I like Alan.

I would choose higher dynamic capability (more drivers) over less capability with single drivers covering a discrete frequency range.

Higher dynamic capability means having a fixed center channel of same model as L/R channels if possible.

Every setup employing a subwoofer with dissimilar distances between channels and sub(s) results in comb filtering. All setups.

Our hearing mechanism uses comb filtering as a tool to effectively determine direction and distance of sounds. Our ears are a comb filter generator.

Rooms with lower decay times or treated early reflections are more probably affected by perceived comb filtering by test tones or pink noise mono signals. Rooms with strong early reflections and longer decay times are as affected, but less perceivable.

Pink noise signals are used for system setup, tuning and validation. Not enjoyment.

All systems with subs have comb filtering.

All systems with two speakers playing a center panned singer have comb filtering.

Timing masking caused by misalignment of channels to eachother or misalignment of channels to subwoofers is much more detrimental to sound reproduction. And audible!

Dynamic range is far more important in the enjoyment in sound reproduction than debatable sound artifacts due to multidriver designs.