Thread Like Summary
brwsaw
Original Post (Thread Starter)
Weird dream #433983 10/26/2019 9:06 AM
by bridgman
bridgman
Was tempted to put this in "What's new at Axiom"...

So without pre-amble I found myself in an Axiom listening room, with Ian and <someone I didn't recognize> about to show off some new mains. LFR1100 size but not sure what they were.

What caught my eye though was the subwoofers. One in each corner, with what appeared to be an 18-24" woofer in each. The woofer cone seemed relatively conventional, but the surround was more like the kind of material you see wrapped around the hose you plug into a built-in vacuum cleaner system.

Electronics were switched on, and the cone slowly pulled back maybe 2 feet into the subwoofer enclosure, then pushed out almost as much before settling back into normal position.

I asked Ian how that could possibly work and how the cone stayed in the correct position... he didn't say anything about why the cone didn't fall over but pulled out some plots and explained that all the new subs had this driver surround, and that without it you got distortion here and here (points to glitches on the charts) at 7 Hz and high SPLs.

The system sounded great though, and the cones didn't move anywhere near as much as they did during power-on.

If Ian ever *does* make those subs, we'll have to get a couple out to Mojo for a video shoot. Or a dance-off.
Liked Replies
Re: Weird dream #434023 Oct 28th a 01:26 AM
by Mojo
Mojo
I don't think you can cook an M3 with a typical receiver unless you play test tones but I can sure as shit light it on fire with a 1500 and good ol' music. Not a 1000 though. I tried. smile
1 member likes this

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,034 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup