Thread Like Summary
Cork, Mojo
Original Post (Thread Starter)
Yamaha R-N803 Adeqaute for M80HPs? #440341 12/30/2020 9:47 AM
by Cork
Cork
I'm gearing up to buy what will likely be my last set of speakers, this time for the living room. I probably don't need the M80's, but dammit, I've always wanted a pair. On the other hand, I really don't want to spend a lot on amplification, or have a receiver/amp combo in the living room. (Wife has ok'd the speakers, but would not be thrilled about amp complexity.)
So, to the main point, has anyone used a R-N803; or if not, do you guys think it'd drive the M80's adequately?
Oh, I will not be using a sub. This'll be a music-only and set-up and I don't think I need to go that low.
Liked Replies
Re: Yamaha R-N803 Adeqaute for M80HPs? #440784 Jan 18th a 03:35 AM
by Sinclair
Sinclair
Hello, I just wanted to inject my 2c , though I realize I am coming late.
One more note, which I added at the very end of writing this post: my intention of commenting on paring Yamaha R-N803 with Axiom's M5HP transpired into something more. My apology if I went off-topic.

After 1 full year of research and hesitations, I have finally ordered a pair of M5HP and got it delivered shortly before last Christmas. The speakers have now close to 80h on the gauge and, by now, I have a very good understanding of what it takes to drive them properly and what one can expect from them. I listen to them with 3 different amplifiers: Marantz NR1403-50Wpc, Arcam A75-75Wpc and Denon AVR3805/120Wpc.

M5HP love power, however, they also love articulation. While Denon's 120Wpc delivers right amount of juice, it does not have the vocal eloquence to make M5HP fully happy (mind, I know Denons that could do that but they are outside my reach). Arcam A75 is a beautiful piece of audio master craft but its age (made in UK in 2001) shows off. The sound is too colored for the level of details M5HP projects. So, surprisingly, Marantz won the competition, even though it only pushes 50Wpc down the wire. Yes, the volume knob must be cranked up reasonably high but, after all, that is what the volume knobs are for. When I hooked my M4HP to Marantz, the quality of sound literally blew my head away. If you like fusion-Jazz , play Chick Corea's "City of brass" and... you will see it, not just hear it. And if you like Dire Straits, listen to "Ride across the river" and you will immediately understand why M5HP might indeed be the end-game pair of speakers you ever spent money on. The level of details that comes out in absolutely undistorted manner and dispensed with perfect level of power are the killer-feature and the secret-sauce of M5HP. It makes you wonder how is it possible. To round this part up, I will just say that I own 2 pairs of other well-regarded speakers (both are floor-stands) but none can deliver the magic of M5HP.

I can tell for sure that M5HP need an amplifier that is robust, confident and musically refined. Marantz and Yamaha are for sure in that category. Interestingly, I had Yamaha in my plans too, although it was one of the surround receivers. The plans changed, at least for a while. As long as we are talking about reasonable budget, Yamaha and Marantz may arguably represent the best possible choices to power M5HP. The ultimate dream setting for M5HP would be something like Yamaha A-S2200. Anyway, R-N803 seems to be great piece and it has excellent reviews. With 100Wpc (@ 4Ohm) it should deliver fantastic experience, when pairing it with M5HP, especially for jazz and classical.

Last but not least, M5HP not only bring extraordinary sound but also high-end "look & touch". The quality of make is implacable. I ordered mine in cherry/cinnamon and they look gorgeous, even better than in pictures. Although my family is not overly HiFi oriented, everyone loved them so much that they forced me to leave them in the living room for good (they were originally purchased for my basement system).

M5HP is the first pair of Axiom speakers I ever purchased but, ironically, I am afraid might not be the last one... LOL!
1 member likes this
Re: Yamaha R-N803 Adeqaute for M80HPs? #440910 Jan 28th a 01:09 AM
by Robby
Robby
I have the Yamaha R-N803. Great receiver and it powers my PSB stratus Golds which need a lot of current with no problem at moderate to fairly high levels with good bass too. Not as incisive if I can use that word as my Bryston 3 because of the current issue but it's smooth and really handy for all it does including bluetooth, remote, vinyl and internet radio.
803 doesn't have HDMI connections but I connect it to the TV sound with the optical connection. Handy all in one with decent sound. The M80 is an easier drive than the Golds so should pair well.
1 member likes this

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441