Thread Like Summary
aaaaaaaaaaaaa
Original Post (Thread Starter)
projectors, screens, and center channels #442325 04/28/2021 1:28 AM
by rrlev
rrlev
Work on the HT is starting up again and it's time to get serious on picking out projectors and screens.

The top projector on my list is the LG HU810PW. A laser DLP with excellent spec's for under $3k USD.

The screen is a bit harder. Trevor suggested I consider an AT screen and put my center and a diffusion panel behind it. Think this is a great idea as long as the diffuser doesn't screw up the ALFRs (something to check into). He also recommended Elite screens as being decent unfortunately after doing some research I discovered that their AT screens need a 1.5x (of screen width) seating distance. Unfortunately my MPL is at 1.1x and I'm not moving it!

So, before I start spending time on a AT screen search I thought I'd open up a discussion and see what ideas came out.
Liked Replies
Re: projectors, screens, and center channels #442334 Apr 28th a 11:27 AM
by LondonCalling
LondonCalling
My homemade 115" AT screen is made from milliskin spandex (black under white). Cost was $63usd plus shipping (2019). items 795 and 796 from Spandex World . I'm using a cheap Optoma projector HD142x and it looks great once the projector warms up!
1 member likes this
Re: projectors, screens, and center channels #442450 May 9th a 09:34 PM
by Gary Vose Sr
Gary Vose Sr
The comments I made yesterday, I will stand by them in reference to the picture quality projected onto any acoustical transparent projection screen. I spoke yesterday on what my eyes have seen in my home over a good number of years. I have had two theater rooms setup in two different spaces within my home and I have 20/20 vision. I have had a total of five different quality projectors, along with five different quality projection screen surfaces along the way.

Each time as I was remaking the theater room, I would have various screen samples for comparison. On two of those occasions I did have some quality acoustical transparent screen samples that I was comparing both against each other, and also against some quality solid suface screen samples as well. In my case in both instantices the acoustical transparent screen material suffered in picture loss in resolution, because of it's softened image as compared with a quality solid surface screen material. This is what I will attest to.

But their is a gentleman well known within the Home theater industry who knows far more than I would ever hope to know, his name is Kris Deering here is a link below to an article in which he has authored.

https://www.soundandvision.com/cont...k-130-g4-projection-screen-review-page-2
1 member likes this
Re: projectors, screens, and center channels #442452 May 10th a 01:26 AM
by Gary Vose Sr
Gary Vose Sr
Those are very nice pictures for sure, thank you for sharing. I hope members don't get the wrong idea that I was in anyway tring to discredit or persuade anyone from ever purchasing an AT projection screen as they certainly do have their place in this arena. I'm diffidently a picture first type of hobbyist, with the sound being second.
1 member likes this
Re: projectors, screens, and center channels #442474 May 13th a 12:21 AM
by chesseroo
chesseroo
Originally Posted by TrevorM
Sony A8F Oled?

DML Panel. So yep! Getting there.

Works like DML panels demonstrated on youtube Tech Ingredients Channel. Actuator coupled to rigid panel.

Very cool!
Kind of sounds like Martin Logan electrostat idea. Whole front of the tv is a sound emitting device.
1 member likes this
Re: projectors, screens, and center channels #442484 May 14th a 06:29 PM
by rrlev
rrlev
Looks like you're right Trever ... they are vibrating the screen on at least some of the OLED Sony's. Wonder what frequency range they send to the panel vs. what they send to the speakers in back.

Although I've read nothing bad about it I also wonder about the quality of the sound. My only reason to question it is the lack of DML speakers/drivers on the market. The technology has been around for quite a while.
1 member likes this
Re: projectors, screens, and center channels #442485 May 15th a 02:26 AM
by LondonCalling
LondonCalling
I didn't know there was an extended edition of Gladiator, so I used Netflix rather than my old dvd. Unfortunately couldn't find that scene. Somehow I no longer feel ENTERTAINED. First time trying to post a picture.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
1 member likes this

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044