Thread Like Summary
aaaaaaaaaaaaa, rrlev
Original Post (Thread Starter)
Surround speakers QS10 or M5HPOW #443091 08/07/2021 1:28 PM
by LondonCalling
LondonCalling
Need to make decision about replacing my surround speakers. The room has no right side wall so the surrounds are mounted on the back wall. Unfortunately the couch is also against the rear wall. I'm thinking of going with the QS10's but Atmos I believe suggests monopoles for the rear. Currently the rears are mounted a bit high and I feel that you can't really feel their effect, probably more to do with the seating position though.

1, How hard of a rule are monopoles for the surrounds with Atmos? It seems all new receivers are designed with Atmos. My current receiver has it and offers 7.1 or 5.1.2.

2. Would the quint poles compensate for the poor seating position?

3. What is the suggested mounting height for QS10's

3. Possibly in the future there will be a right side wall. Are Atmos side surrounds to be monopole as well?

I'm hoping to visit Axiom in two weeks time when on vacation, in their area. Hopefully they will let me in for a listen, unfortunately the fourth wave is starting to climb here in Ontario.

Thank you in advance for any input !!!
Liked Replies
Re: Surround speakers QS10 or M5HPOW #443130 Aug 9th a 03:26 PM
by rrlev
rrlev
Originally Posted by Mojo
That may be why you don't hear a difference between QS10 and M5. Ears are less sensitive to noises from the back and even directly from the side. I have my QS10s forward. When I replace them with M5OW, the sound is more direct and the mids and highs are slightly more prominent.
. Even though What Mojo says is correct … side/rear surrounds should be 90 deg and/or behind you. That you don’t hear the difference is, IMHO, placement, room, material played, and ear dependent … the QS10 surrounds should be more diffuse… I.e. harder to detect the exact direction the sound came from. if there is nothing for the sound to bounce off of then you might only hear the sound coming directly at you.
1 member likes this
Re: Surround speakers QS10 or M5HPOW #443095 Aug 7th a 08:18 PM
by aaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaa
1, How hard of a rule are monopoles for the surrounds with Atmos? Hard.

2. Would the quint poles compensate for the poor seating position? Yes.

3. What is the suggested mounting height for QS10's? 5’ above finished floor in your case.

3. Possibly in the future there will be a right side wall. Are Atmos side surrounds to be monopole as well? Yes.
1 member likes this

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441