Thread Like Summary
brwsaw
Original Post (Thread Starter)
Little known audio secret #444403 01/14/2022 2:32 AM
by Mojo
Mojo
In 1986, I had the pleasure of taking my first Control Systems course from Dr. Neam. For those of you not familiar with Control Systems, one learns how to stabilize physical systems so they behave under specified conditions. In EE, one makes use of analog or digital filters to achieve stability.

Dr. Neam's dad, Perry, was also an EE. He was fascinated by audio. During a pub outing, Dr. Neam shared a story that apparently very few in the audio world know. Perry was tinkering to see what effect a band of low frequencies and the shape of the band (the Q) had on human physiology. By total accident, he discovered a center frequency of 45.3 Hz with a bandwidth of 12.6 Hz and a Q of 0.87, imbued an excitory response in the pudendal nerve. This effect became more pronounced as he turned up the gain.

Now I have no idea how Andrew found out about this. There is nothing in the literature that describes this serendipitous effect. I do know however that Andrew implemented this response in the 125v4. When I listen to the dual 125s in my living room, as that area between my boys and my sphincter is aroused, I am always reminded of Dr. Neam and his dad Perry.

This effect isn't evident in the sealed subs. Those hit deep in the 'nads. Besides the 125v4, I expect the other sphinctered subs to elicit a similar response.

Sealed or sphinctered, I love them all!
Liked Replies
Re: Little known audio secret #444408 Jan 15th a 06:11 AM
by Mojo
Mojo
Originally Posted by michael_d
Where the hell have you been, young man???!!!

Your friends have been worried sick about your prolonged absence.

For Axiom's sake, that's private...for now.
1 member likes this

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441