Thread Like Summary
aaaaaaaaaaaaa
Original Post (Thread Starter)
M3 In-Ceiling, how to mount to a drop ceiling? #444752 02/19/2022 5:04 AM
by derico
derico
The room I'm using in the basement has an existing drop ceiling, that I don't want to replace at this time. Looking at getting some speakers for Dolby Atmos and considering the M3 in-ceilings, but the only way I can think of putting them up is making an MDF ceiling tile, cutting a hole in it for the in-ceiling speaker, and hanging it from the drop ceiling suspension. Anyone have any alternative mounting that might work for a drop ceiling? Also considering getting another set of M3 on-walls, asking for the mounting post in the back so I could us a full metal bracket to hang from the joists above, then re-frame the drop ceiling around the speaker. Anyone have options for me that I can consider (other than drywalling the ceiling). Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Derek
M60 fronts, M3OW side surrounds, QS8 rear surrounds.
Liked Replies
Re: M3 In-Ceiling, how to mount to a drop ceiling? #444758 Feb 19th a 03:23 PM
by rrlev
rrlev
Trever’s suggestion is a good one. You don’t what to use MDF as it’s heavy. 1/2” ply is much lighter. The only other issue I can see is if the ceiling sags a bit under the weight … you might have to put a support tie or two in on the frame in that area.
1 member likes this

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,067 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup