Like everyone, I’m continually redefining my understanding of audio, and the factors involved in our subjective experience as listeners. During recent experience in different rooms, playing with various speakers/subs in Axiom’s line and general audio research I’ve contemplated what factor effect our perception of “bass.” How come certain speakers or subs are more fun than others, but measure the same or have the same inroom spl? Why do some people think a subs orientation matters or doesnt? Or stereo subs are good or bad?

Recently, I’ve come to react to certain assertions made by reviewers and others when it comes to “acceptable” standards or metrics of audio performance. I think “Hmmmmm…. If that’s so then I must be wrong. Are my senses failing me? Why do I like this bad product.” Recent Audiosciencereview articles and recommendations have me scratching my head.

One vid which made me take pause was Andrew’s excellent vid on woofer size vs bass output. In general I like his content, and find his viewpoints reassuring as I continue to work with Axiom products. But this vid made me really sit and think about my experience vs his informative explanation.

Audio Myths Part 1:Woofers
https://youtu.be/dtz8Z0rpeio

So why is it that I prefer the presentation of an 8” woofer vs a 6.5” or 12” subwoofer vs a 10”. As he mentions, the Electro acoustic function of a loudspeaker system (box/driver/port etc) determine its output at various frequencies, but what makes sound “fun”? Why can I tune two subs to have the same in room output at a given frequency, but one sub “sounds” way better than the other. Way more fun. The answer is not related to sound level as we commonly talk about (dB or spl) but Sound Intensity.

Sound Intensity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_intensity

Why does Mojo love his “discrete” mutichannel sub setup vs mono multisub setup? Sound Intensity.

How loud your system sounds to your ear relates to sound pressure. The warm rush or full body sensation that escapes most peoples recognition is related to sound intensity. They are related but not the same. Kind of like horsepower and torque. Sound intensity relates to energy over area and can be felt kinetically and measured as force.

So why isnt this measured or considered in more objective reviews? Why isnt sound intensity a metric considered in subjective reviews? Quite frankly its a complicated variable, and most readers or reviewers or home owners arent interested in what it requires. Big drivers.

So why arent manufacturers making speakers with big drivers and higher sound intensity capability? Well, up until recently, the notion of large drivers deploying uncontrolled bass into a room was cause for great concern…. Huge drivers make bad things happen in small rooms. Modes run wild etc. But recently more cardiod designs have become popular and can deliver high spl and intensity without as many negative room interactions as older big designs. The recent JBL 4367 review at erinsaudiocorner sure made me understand this relationship more. His interview with subjective loudspeaker expert Beth Mcmullin really drove the point home further.

Anyway, food for thought. Next time you see a measurement plot or distortion plot and think “Wow, gold star!” Is it really? Are you going to have more fun if you buy it than another “worse” measuring model? Tough one, but I wish manufacturers would start to share intensity figures as well as sensitivity. Certainly it should be measured in technical reviews!