Thread Like Summary
Rui
Original Post (Thread Starter)
Best way to angle VP180 upwards? #445859 07/15/2022 2:40 PM
by Rui
Rui
Last night I picked up a second hand VP180 V4.

I’m a bit disappointed how it sits on my stand (which is below my screen). I’d like to angle it slightly upward.

If i flip it over it’s at a decent angle but the feet are pretty ugly and if i unscrew them the metal threads are visible which is probably worse.

If i raise the front feet by nearly unscrewing them and place hockey pucks under them as well that also works, but then the speaker is resting on the feet at an angle and I’m wondering if there might be long term issues (like the threads getting damaged by the constant pressure or perhaps the cabinet getting marred).

Any tips from VP180 owners on how they angle it?
Liked Replies
Re: Best way to angle VP180 upwards? #445860 Jul 15th a 03:20 PM
by Canesfan27
Canesfan27
I purchased angled stands for mine. The 180 is so big I decided to use two stands instead of one. The stands work perfectly to fire the center towards listeners ears.
1 member likes this
Re: Best way to angle VP180 upwards? #445861 Jul 15th a 03:26 PM
by Mojo
Mojo
As long as your MLP is 8 feet or more from the 180, a height of 16" will work very well with no inclination required.

Do you hear a difference between inclined and not inclined?
1 member likes this
Re: Best way to angle VP180 upwards? #445862 Jul 15th a 03:32 PM
by Canesfan27
Canesfan27
With it angled it feels like the sound is coming more from the screen instead of slightly below. When I had it resting on top of a tv stand and it was higher I didn't notice as much but when I dropped it lower for the eventual projector screen I noticed some difference.
1 member likes this
Re: Best way to angle VP180 upwards? #445867 Jul 15th a 07:00 PM
by Canesfan27
Canesfan27
I like to test mine with war movies or something like Top Gun. Movies where there is a lot of action directly in front of you with dialog going at the same time.
1 member likes this
Re: Best way to angle VP180 upwards? #445868 Jul 15th a 10:50 PM
by aaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaa
Male voices. Lots of great choices in Game of Thrones.

Sound boxy or fake? Start there. There are several scenes with Tyrion Lannister and Varis that can sound pretty fake if the setup is wrong. Move out from wall if you can.

Then I’d worry about unpacking dense mixes.

I agree with Canesfan27. Action or War movie. I’d go John Wick and test the scene where he beats on his car at the airport. Great pans that are loud and guttural. Entire movie is great for dynamic pop though.

Pretty sure the opening of any Daniel Craig James Bond would be a good test too. Really anything over the top with pans across front soundstage to test for seamless integration.
1 member likes this
Re: Best way to angle VP180 upwards? #445869 Jul 15th a 11:49 PM
by Mojo
Mojo
Originally Posted by Rui
Originally Posted by Mojo
As long as your MLP is 8 feet or more from the 180, a height of 16" will work very well with no inclination required.

Do you hear a difference between inclined and not inclined?

The stand the speaker sits on is 15.25” high. My MLP is about 12’ away. Do you think I’m worrying over nothing?

At 12 feet away, the angle subtended by your ears to the baffle's normal of a non-inclined 180 would be 5 to 10 degrees, depending on how upright you sit. That angle falls well within Axiom's design parameters.

Inclining the 180 may result in unnatural sound depending on ceiling height. Try to see what you discover.
1 member likes this

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,048 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup