Thread Like Summary
aaaaaaaaaaaaa
Original Post (Thread Starter)
Speakers in family room #446428 10/20/2022 11:44 AM
by UK_AV
UK_AV
I'd like to have 5.1 or even 7.1, and hopefully 1/2/3/4 height speakers. I have added a plan to show the limitations/spacing

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Speakers need to be on wall, e.g. 1-2 ft above ear height, or at ceiling level. I can't have speakers on the ceiling. Ceiling is 8ft tall.

Main front speakers are floor standers at position 1. I'm expecting to have dipoles for 5.1 at position 10 or 13 (or both for 7.1!). Wondering if/where to put atmos speakers.

Sofa is against back wall, could possibly move out 20cm.

Green squares show where I can put speakers anywhere up the wall, pink/red squares show where I can only place them at ceiling height.
Liked Replies
Re: Speakers in family room #446436 Oct 20th a 03:56 PM
by rrlev
rrlev
Picture would help ... but assuming I have complete freedom to put things anywhere I want (which is never the case). My first thought would be to put the screen on the right wall and the couch centered facing it with its back a few feet from the window. This way you will start off with a symmetrical layout and I'd think that the surround experience would greatly improved. The window would be changed into an asset if cover with heavy curtains.

Although you can get away with a couch up against the wall it's alway better to have a few feet behind it. This is especially true if you ever want to go ATMOS as it's less forgiving than 5.1 and 7.1. Also. it's never good to be sitting next to or below any surround.
1 member likes this

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441