Thread Like Summary
WornBadly
Original Post (Thread Starter)
Speaker placement advice - glass concern! #447516 10/02/2023 5:14 PM
by WornBadly
WornBadly
Hi I'm looking for some advice on speaker placement in my kitchen/diner room - photo attached.

[img]https://ibb.co/LNV2Dqq[/img]

The room is about 3.5m wide and 8m long with high ceiliings (probably 3m at the top of the cathedral windows).

I'm looking to upgrade my audio setup (aiming to spend ~£1-2k) but am concerned on what to do with the speakers - what type and where to place them. The obvious aesthetically pleasing place is in the tall alcoves (where they are in the photo), but I've now read lots of warnings that glass nearby is a really bad idea. Before reading that I was thinking of either having higher stands or floorstanding.

It feels like my only other main option would be wall-mounted speakers in each corner higher up, but I haven't read good things about that approach either!

In case it helps this my goal is great sounding music, I'm less fussed about the tv\cinema experience.

Thanks in advance for suggestions!
Liked Replies
Re: Speaker placement advice - glass concern! #447519 Oct 2nd a 08:04 PM
by Hambrabi
Hambrabi
We’ll need some context. How is the rest of the furniture and room arranged? Do have pictures of how the kitchen and dining area are situated? Would you consider moving the TV and hifi into the right corner? Do you want the TV to be the visual focus of the room?

Generally, stereo requires symmetry in the room and layout to do its magic. A multichannel 5.x or 7.x setup running Dolby Digital or DTS:X is a great equalizer (see what I did there?) for anyone with a suboptimal room for stereo music playback or who wants multiple listening positions to experience the sweet spot.

And for unsolicited advice, that coffee table has to go. smile
1 member likes this
Re: Speaker placement advice - glass concern! #447520 Oct 2nd a 08:08 PM
by Mojo
Mojo
Without any doubt, I say on-wall speakers on the outside of each window. Axiom M2, M3 or M5OW would work well. I find it difficult in my living room to decide between M2 and M5. I have both and switch between them to keep things interesting. While I've never heard M3OW, I have the bookshelves and really like their retroish, mellow sound.

If you had answered that you'd listen from the couch, I'd have told you to not even bother with speakers.

P.S. I also have M50, LFR1100 active and used to have M80 and M100.
1 member likes this

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,486
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 1,022 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup