Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Being doubly sure...
INANE #378380 06/12/12 12:00 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Are you correcting my spelling or confirming they really are just doilies pinned to their heads. Luckily, I have now finished my coffee so it doesn't matter.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
INANE #378385 06/12/12 02:07 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
The latter. Spellcheck was inconclusive.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
INANE #378405 06/12/12 04:41 PM
devotee
devotee
Originally Posted By: INANE
Question/comments for anyone listening:

So I got these M80's setup with a new VP180 and new QS8's along with my old QS4's. I really have been busy the last week so I haven't had a chance to sit down and drive these things that hard yet. I'm very happy overall (so far REALLY impressed with the VP180) but I am disappointed with the low end from the M80's. I guess with all the raving from other M80 owners about the bass from these speakers I was expecting more, much more. Granted I have yet to play them at very loud levels but so far they just don't seem too pronounced in that area.

What I've tried:
  • I have them set to large on my AVR
  • I've moved them around and pulled them back to about ~8 inches from the wall (which did help a tad bit)
  • I put my ear up to each driver and I believe they are all working.
  • I've swapped pos/neg to test for phase issues
  • I've spent some time listening in surround as well as 2 channel

My M3's seem to have nearly as much low end as these M80's... at the moderate to low volume levels I've been playing with. I know it could be a case of just being used to a lot more bass because of my car stereo and the M80's being much more flat but it just seems like something is missing.

Here is one look at how I have them setup
here is another angle

Ben it's too bad the sound coming from that room is less than satisfying for you, especially with the cash, and time, you've put into that space. Don't know about the budget, but here are some options as I see it.

1- You're still inside the 30 day window with Axiom, consider the new line speaker. Nearly doubles the drivers, with an additional 6.5'" woofer. Earlier talk on these new speakers, stated they would need too be pulled out from the wall as much as two feet or so. This would increase the woofers by one, and places them closer to your seating area, not to mention what it would do for the mids, and highs.

2- I know you mentioned earlier you only had one DIY sub. Could consider going with two strong subs, start off by placing them on adjacent walls, then altering their positioning until you find the best room response.

3- Are you presently running a power amp. If yes, is it enough to drive those M80's. If you're relying on a AVR to do so, it could be an overwhelming task to power this new system, in that new space. Besides the M80's, you have now added two more surrounds (QS8's) into your setup configuration.

AS you can see Ben, I'm being really free and easy with your money. laugh But seriously it's going to take some $$$ to give you that sound you're looking for.

With out Jesus Christ there can be no Redemption or Salvation.
INANE #378412 06/12/12 05:40 PM
Jc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
Grrr, I think a lot of it has to do with my new room. I was walking around the speakers tonight and noticed when I'm standing up near the TV in between the M80's there is a lot more low end. As I walk back and sit down it diminishes a lot.

frown

Hi,
Definitely a room issue, you seem to be sitting in a null area. Not much can be done except moving your couch and/or speakers. Sometimes a few feet can make all the difference.

jc
Jc #378436 06/12/12 10:51 PM
S
aficionado
aficionado
S
You need room treatment bad.

Gary Vose Sr #378458 06/13/12 02:02 AM
INANE Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Gary Vose Sr

Ben it's too bad the sound coming from that room is less than satisfying for you, especially with the cash, and time, you've put into that space. Don't know about the budget, but here are some options as I see it.

1- You're still inside the 30 day window with Axiom, consider the new line speaker. Nearly doubles the drivers, with an additional 6.5'" woofer. Earlier talk on these new speakers, stated they would need too be pulled out from the wall as much as two feet or so. This would increase the woofers by one, and places them closer to your seating area, not to mention what it would do for the mids, and highs.

2- I know you mentioned earlier you only had one DIY sub. Could consider going with two strong subs, start off by placing them on adjacent walls, then altering their positioning until you find the best room response.

3- Are you presently running a power amp. If yes, is it enough to drive those M80's. If you're relying on a AVR to do so, it could be an overwhelming task to power this new system, in that new space. Besides the M80's, you have now added two more surrounds (QS8's) into your setup configuration.

AS you can see Ben, I'm being really free and easy with your money. laugh But seriously it's going to take some $$$ to give you that sound you're looking for.

1 - I actually helped pay for these M80's by being one of the co-winners in the LFR naming contest laugh Those suckers are out of my league since I'd need additional amps ($$$) to power them plus the cost of the LFR's themselves

2 - Ya I have plans to get two new identical subs in the future. I wired spots for them already on each side of the "stage". I've done some testing by bringing my small living room sub into this room and having two definitely smooths the bass out in the room. I was just hoping/planning to use the M80's by themselves for stereo music listening without needing the subs on. When I'm in the mood for surround music listening I'd add the subs back into the mix and of course movies get the full treatment.

3 - All I have right now is my old trusty HK AVR630. That is something else I'd like to upgrade in the future. Probably a new AVR and possibly a power amp at least for the mains.

All good things to consider thou, I appreciate it.

St_PatGuy #378459 06/13/12 02:03 AM
INANE Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy
Ben, it really sounds like your room is the culprit for your diminished bass response. Do you have an SPL meter? Try charting some measurements if you have a test CD.

May be time to start experimenting with speaker placement and/or listening position, if possible.

I've been putting off getting a meter but I do want one. That said I don't really have many options for moving stuff around since I planned the room out ahead of time with wiring everything in certain places.

Jc #378460 06/13/12 02:07 AM
INANE Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Jc

Hi,
Definitely a room issue, you seem to be sitting in a null area. Not much can be done except moving your couch and/or speakers. Sometimes a few feet can make all the difference.

Originally Posted By: SBrown
You need room treatment bad.

Unfortunately I just don't have many options for moving anything around thou I will continue to ponder that to be sure. I'm wondering if building small bass traps (since I don't have room for large ones) in the corners would do much for the M80's. While I know it would benefit the sub(s) I haven't found the bass to be too lacking for them.

INANE #378601 06/15/12 01:05 PM
devotee
devotee
nice work Inane on your room

Pioneer sc-1525
M80 HG Cherry
INANE #378602 06/15/12 01:20 PM
devotee
devotee
Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy
Ben, it really sounds like your room is the culprit for your diminished bass response. Do you have an SPL meter? Try charting some measurements if you have a test CD.

May be time to start experimenting with speaker placement and/or listening position, if possible.

I've been putting off getting a meter but I do want one. That said I don't really have many options for moving stuff around since I planned the room out ahead of time with wiring everything in certain places.

Goto Futureshop or whatever you have in the USA. buy I top of the line reviever or amp and try it out for the week. Then return it and get your money back. Atleast you will be able to tell if you need to upgrade that HK sooner wink

Pioneer sc-1525
M80 HG Cherry
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082