OK. There is something wrong with this forum. There has been a battle or sorts going on with Smokey and a few other people here. There is a lot of "my stuff is better" and "I am right, you are wrong" going on that needs to stay out of the forums....

Smokey and I have been in some interesting "conversations" in the past, and for the most part, fasts play into it, but not always.

I am not trying to start a battle with Smokey, but when he himself makes accusations about facts that he himself knows nothing about, to a respected member of these forums (good ol' Sirquack), I get a little ticked.

Anyway.... I have to 110% disagree, and yet agree with Smokey on this one. DVD is 480p, no doubt about it, Smokey scores 100 points. Woohoo Smokey!

A point I brought up about upconversion is that in some upconversion units, the Panasonic S97 for one, the upconversion makes a noticable improvement in picture if your display can handle the higher res image. You bet, the source is still 480p, and no, it is NOT HiDef, I agree 100% with you. Some people were mis-lead into thinking that an upconversion unit would make the image "HD" but it doesn't. It can NOT increase the actual resolution of the source.

What it can do is interpolate the image. Instead of just blowing up the image, and having a blocky, pixelated picture, it looks at the data in each pixel and calculates what it thinks would be a pixel the is between the pixels on the source 480p image. By doing this, it "stuffs" more pixels that it has created inbetween the pixels that are in the source and this allows for a 480p image to be displayed to 720p or 1080i image quality. Is it a "true" 720p or 1080i source, no way. It is, however, very good at increasing the resolution of the image to something that is better than a 480p DVD and a 720p or 1080i source.

For those people that think that this is just like blowing up a .jpg image in Photoshop or something, it isn't. I know a guy that thought that he could get a higher resolution image of a photo he took by changing the DPI from 72 (screen quality) to 600 (publish quality). What he got was a very large, blocky image. If you could take the same technology in the S97 (and others by now, I am sure) and apply it to Photoshop, you would get a 600 DPI image that may not be as sharp as the original when viewed at 100%, but is at an extremely higher resolution, and without the blocks (or "jaggies")...

Farewell - June 4, 2020