I have a couple suggestions for how to use some of the Denon 3805 sound processing modes based on my experience. The bottom line, however, is you’re going to spend the next several weeks to months exploring what works best for you and your material. It’s lots of fun. You feel like you still have new equipment months afterwards.

1) Mono Movie DSP mode is useful for the old classic movies or TV stations with a mono broadcast like the Japanese station I watch. This spreads the signal across all 3 front channels. It makes for a larger sounding stage and takes some of the load off my center channel.

2) PL IIx Cinema mode can do a very good job with CD’s or VCR tapes that have theater sound tracks on them. I’m amazed at how much surround sound material is still in the stereo signal on VCR tapes. CD’s from movie soundtracks also seem to have this information available.

3) PL IIx Music mode is a useful option for video games that support surround sound. This provides more separation for the signal than Cinema or Game modes. The Game mode tends to send too much volume to the rear speakers for some games. GT4 for instance is much better in PL IIx Music mode.

4) DSP mode parameters can help tune a DSP mode for a particular function. I agree with Randy that I’ve not found much use for most of the special DSP modes. I’ve used Stadium during a few football games and it worked so well I could barely understand the announcer because of the echoes. Adjusting the room size, effect level and delay helped reduce the amount of echo to a reasonable level. Each DSP mode also has adjustments for treble and bass so it’s possible to set one DSP mode for specific CD’s. I’ve tried to get one adjusted to handle my poorly recorded CD’s that are very sibilant by reducing the treble. My results weren’t too good and I used the manual room EQ instead.

5) If you have a 7.1 setup, try cycling through the various surround back (SB) speaker options. I find the non-matrix mode very good for DD 5.1 movies because it places a virtual sound between my side and back surround speakers. Since my side surround speakers are a bit in front of me this helps put the sound slightly behind me. The matrix mode will give you DD 5.1 + PL IIx Cinema where the signal for the back channels is created using the PL IIx processing.