Clarence, take a look at page 83 and 84 of your Denon 3805 manual. These tables are very helpful for understanding how the system operates for each type of input signal and sound processing mode. Unfortunately, they are not friendly to read, but there is lots of information there. I skipped over them several times when I was first learning my system before realizing how useful they were. You are correct that some options are not available until a specific digital input is provided to the receiver. Here’s a quick orientation to the tables.

Pg 83 Table 1
Lists how each sound processing mode listed on the left affects the speaker outputs and it lists which sound processing modes are available for the different input signals.

Pg 84 Table 2
Lists the adjustable parameters for each processing mode listed on the left. Usually these parameters are accessed by using the “Surr Para” button on the remote. Pay attention to the notes below the table.

Pg 84 Table 3
This table is actually an extension of table 2. Basically you could attach table 3 to the right of table 2 and have 1 large table that covers all of the various parameters for the different surround sound modes.