This is Ray's Summary:

OK - here's what I have. Hope it works for you! Just keep in mind this is somewhat less serious than discovering cold fusion or curing cancer!

We did the subwoofer listening test at Craig’s and a good time was had by all. Craig’s home is beautiful with living space attached to his Home Theater array and he has 2 theaters, a living room with a RPTV set up and a bedroom TV in the event one of the other areas wasn’t available.

As Craig pointed out, I got the opportunity to provide this summary. I have no agenda with the results and didn’t project anything into the event beforehand. Didn’t care who/what won. Felt everything was done on a level playing field, and don’t feel the need to begin peeling the onion to find flaws in the methodology. I accomplished my purpose of enjoying a nifty GTG, saw some old friends and made some new ones. Interesting how getting together based on this passion and spending some time face-to-face talking eliminates garbage that sometimes shows up in threads and just enhances the day. To be sure, discussion was lively, but all within the parameters of “ain’t this hobby a hoot?” and disparate views were accepted with good humor underpinning the day. Nobody got sweaty and there was no hitting.

I’m not technically immersed in this to the extent many others are, so I just try to find something I like and enjoy it. While the opportunity to do the testing and come away with the chance to explain to my wife why I need a new subwoofer (she will then tell me what my REAL opinion is), I also came away with an improvement in my understanding of the whole LFE piece (not to mention that ringing in my ears). Most importantly, I also made some new friends.

Let me set the stage a bit, in no particular order. We had six sets of ears comprised of myself Ray W, not Ray1), Bossobass, Jeff2D., Jakeman, Jeff2D.jr, Rijax. (it is worth noting here that Jeff did NOT bring the collection of other people sharing his AVS avatar!)
Let me set the stage a bit, in no particular order.

- We had six sets of ears comprised of myself Ray W, not Ray1), Bossobass, Jeff2D., Jakeman, Jeff2D.jr, Rijax. (it is worth noting here that Jeff did NOT bring the collection of other people sharing his AVS avatar!)

- The test was conducted in the main theater, a large room (approximately 22’x25’ with an 81/2 foot ceiling). Difficult audio space with hardwood floors and glass surfaces and the ACI speakers and subs were EQ’d (to be flat).

- The room was set up for light control and darkened for use with the front projector. Between the dark room and the way the subs were hidden/camouflaged, there was no need for blindfolds. We couldn’t see each other in the room, let alone the subwoofers. In fact, until the test were done, we didn’t even know where the subs were physically located.

- Craig spent the day setting up the subwoofers for the test and he did this without anyone else in the room. We did not know what subs we were listening to until after the tests were done, notes were taken and individual results tabulated. Craig did not participate in the rankings and gave no input until all was completed and the sheets with the information was turned in.

- There was a couch that sat three approximately 15’ from the screen and a row of 3 seats directly behind the couch. The seating was consistent, with each person sitting in the same position each time.

- Everything was driven by Onix electronics - an Emotiva DMC-1 Pre-Amp/Processor and an Emotiva MPS-1 Seven Channel Amplifier.

- We listened to 4 subwoofers. Each listening period took 25 minutes or so, followed by 15-20 minutes of discussion and each person making their own notes for each of the 7 categories.

- The listening material, the same each time, included several selections form the Animusic2 DVD, the opening scene from “Master And Commander” when the French frigate first attacks in the fog, the scene in “The Day After” when the tsunami hits NYC and a cut from a Holly Cole CD.

- Once the tests were completed, there was an opportunity to go back and listen to each of them if desired.

Subwoofers owned/in use by the attendees:
Me = SVS 20-39 PCi
Rijax = Onix UFW-10
JeffD2 / Jeff2Djr = SVS PB10-ISD
jakeman = SVS PC-Ultra and Axiom EP-600
Bossobass = Quad Tumults in sealed enclosures
craigsub = one of everything ever made

The subs we auditioned, all tuned flat, except as mentioned for B (you devil, Craig):
-Sub A = SVS PB12 Ultra tuned to 20hz
-Sub B = Axiom EP500 with a 5hz bump
-Sub C = SVS PB12 Ultra tuned to16hz
-Sub D = Axiom EP500

Ratings by person, in order of preference:
JeffD2 : EP-500 + 5 dB, EP-500, SVS 16 Hz., SVS 20 Hz.
JeffD2jr: EP-500 + 5 db, EP-500, SVS 16 Hz., SVS 20 Hz (something in the gene pool? )
jakeman: EP-500 + 5db, SVS 16 Hz., EP-500, SVS 20 Hz
Bossobass: EP-500, Tie with SVS 16 Hz and EP-500 +5 dB, SVS 20 Hz
Rijax: SVS 16 Hz., EP-500, EP-500 + 5db, SVS 20 Hz
Ray W: EP-500, EP-500 + 5db, SVS 16 Hz., SVS 20 Hz

To save some calculation time, awarding 7-5-3-1 points for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th place, here is the finish based on 12 ears listening in relatively even, unbiased conditions (charts/graphs are nice, but you can't hear them):
EP500 = 33 points
EP500 + 5db = 30 points
SVS PB12 Ultra tuned to16hz = 26 points
SVS PB12 Ultra tuned to 20 hz = 7 points

I’ll add some brief personal comments - the other ears have already covered much of the ground for me here. The first three finishers were stellar. Excellent room shaking, chest punching and butt vibration. The music was also handled very well. With the 5 db hump, the EP 500 was a bit muddy. Otherwise, the LFE was crisp and well-defined. What I noticed especially with the EP 500 was the quality of the LFE detail at higher levels, especially when listening to the pieces of wood clattering around as the French frigate (love that word!) turned the British ship into kindling.

I love my SVS, but the EP 500 did EVERYTHING well and I was very surprised with its performance. Remarkable box with three words coming to mind - extension (both ways), punch and detail.

Finally, Craig was a gracious host and the event was well done. You other characters - thanks for a great day!