In reply to:

Ajax: I don't have a theater yet, where I live there is a home show that shows off local home builders, and someone else's house had the theater playing phantom. I think he said the speakers were called alon or elon or something to that effect, it was a smaller room than mine though.

AH! I mistakenly assumed you were referring to one of the Phantom soundtrack CDs, and not the actual movie itself. The sound you heard was probably encoded in Dolby Digital 5.1 (an audio format used for most movies). It is a higher resolution format (I believe) than standard CDs, as are SACDs and DVD-As.

Are you saying you have no speakers at the moment, not even an ancient stereo to which you listen? If that's the case, then your audio must come from your TV, and all I can say is "are you in for a treat" (the same is true even if you do have that ancient stereo)

"Alon" or "Elon" doesn't ring any bells. A google search comes up with these monsters, and this small set. There seem to be other models as well, but I can't find a home web site for the manufacturer.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton