Quote:

I introduced jitter by hand into some WAV files (at a much higher rate than would normally appear) and let everyone give a listen to see if they could hear it. Consensus was that no one could, not even after burning to a CD then bringing it into their home theatre.

There's a lot of dissinformation regarding audio in general floating around and I'm more than willing to believe jitter is one of them. My issues with PC sound cards has more to do with their mixing or resampling etc than jitter.

That being said, I do have to ask how exactly you inserted jitter into a wav file. From what I've read, jitter is a syncronization issue on the digital to analog conversion end. If you take the digital stream and convert it directly to analog you get sound. If however, some of that data that is being converted is not received and converted with the intended timing, you get still get analog sound, but it will be off from what is is supposed to be. This should have nothing to do with the wav file file.

If you take a VOIP call, jitter there gets introduced because not all packets necessarilly get received in correctly timed intervals and you end up with a robotic sounding connection.

With an spdif connection the timing issues should be small, perhaps undetectable, but it would be in the timing of the conversion of the data of the wav file, not the data in the wave file.