Well, a few issues immediately spring to life with this. First is it comes from TNT-Audio, a "tweakers" site, while not as huile de la serpente as some (ooh, cable risers!), the guy's drunk the Kool-Aid and tied on his sneakers.

By the third diagram, he's already off the mark - AES/EBU does not rely on a separate connection for clock, the "pros" don't send the clock on a separate wire - just like SPDIF, it's embedded in the single data stream. I'm sure someone probably has a proprietary way of sending the clock discretely, but I've never seen it done.

If we jump past his half dozen ways to clean his clock (pun intended) he finally gives hard information about how awful this poor mistimed signal has become... even at the worse he claims (30ns - 15 times more than the worst DIYAudio measures) that equals a mistiming of 0.00000003 seconds... a single sample of CD program audio only lasts 0.000023 seconds, so my hand-creation of jitter was actually 7.5 times worse than a theoretical "worst case" scenario, and was still undetectable.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong, I sometimes misunderstand the intent of some of these articles, but the complaint is that the signal can get as sloppy as 3.0 x 10^(-8) seconds one way or the other? I sincerely hope I've misread that... if I haven't, perhaps someone could suggest to him that a tenth of a point of relative humidity or degree of ambient temperature in his room would stiffen or loosen the grease on the CD/DVD drive spindle creating a much larger problem than that.

Bren R.