Quote:

Because we've done blind testing and can't hear a difference once the mind has been taken out of the equation.

Not wasted money, though... some big-arse amps will really allow you to annoy the neighbours without pushing them into clipping.

Bren R.

I guess it depends on what you're comparing. The comparison I heard between an Arcam receiver and Arcam separates (level matched, but not double blind) was clearly a win by the separates. I was actually surprised by how big a difference there was. I didn't go into the session expecting to hear much at all (after all, it was a $2K+ receiver vs. the mid-tier separates - not their top of the line separates), and was hoping that the receiver would hold its own. Same speakers, cables, power, room, etc. The speakers used were Thiel CS1.6/SS1 combo, which are known for their resolution capabilities.

I'd be willing to bet that it would be far more difficult to hear the differences between sets of quality separates (even at huge price differences). There is definitely diminishing audible returns for the dollar as you go up the food chain, but I disagree that there is no audible difference between a $400 receiver and a decent pre-pro/amp combination... unless you're doing a double-blind usign Bose cube speakers.