Quote:

Quote:

If this is absolutely true, then why are there so many high end companies still in business?

Because with price comes (perceived) status. A large percentage of consumers assume that if it costs more, it's a better product.

And there's also the whole "reserve power" belief, where the first watt is supposed to sound better if there are 399 more waiting in the wings.

There is no doubt some truth to that Peter, but you don’t really think it’s the norm do you? Obviously there will come a point when nothing short of bionic hearing, pot and incense where someone will be able to distinguish a difference between two processors, but common, a $500 receiver with “new” technology can not compete with a $12,000 Lexicon Pre/Pro.

I just received my latest toy, a Yamaha RX-V661. $500 delivered to my door. I pulled it out of the box started laughing. It’s such a POS I’m almost embarrassed to hook it up and half tempted to send it back. The first thing that came to mind as I’m holding it in the air with one hand while pulling foam off of it was “Playschool”. Status has nothing to do with my judgment either. But I will hook it up and give it a whirl because I’m pretty darn curious to see how well it performs sonically and if it will drive my speakers as well as the one-watt-is-all-you-need advocates claim. – see, I’m open minded about these things and willing to give different opinions a shot.