Tom, I loved your post quoted below, and agree, wholeheartedly, with it.

However, to those of us who are on, or lean toward, the "science" side of the discussion, the only quantitative proof available supports that side of the discussion.

The problem with "science" is that today's scientific truth, all too often, becomes tomorrow's myth. Science is constantly proving itself wrong (thankfully). But, as inexact (imperfect?) as science can be, I would rather trust current scientific evidence than trust anecdotal evidence based on human senses. Talk about inexact and imperfect. Human senses are just too easily fooled to be relied upon as proof.

While I don't understand those who choose to implicitly trust their senses, I have absolutely no problem with anyone doing so, and making purchases based on that trust. My difficulty is with believers telling those who are new to this hobby, and don't yet understand the dynamics of the disagreement, that they should make purchases based on someone else's anecdotal evidence. If their side of the discussion were presented by saying that all the scientific evidence supports the argument that most receivers/amps sound they same, but that they believe there is a difference, I would have no difficulty at all.

Quote:

Very well said, Peter. Bravo!

Look, I don't "care" about this, either. I just want folks to be happy and satisfied in their hobbies. That being said, an absolute allegiance to science-as-God doesn't fit my world view, because it dismisses two important facts; First, it is impossible to measure how MY brain processes what MY ears collect. Second, MY perception is MY reality; it belongs to me, and again, you can't quantify it.

I'm perfectly willing to let folks derive joy from their purchases, without engaging in the tedious process of trying to prove that they can't hear a difference. I don't think you should have to PASS the double-blind test in order to be allowed to buy or enjoy an expensive amp.

I mean no disrespect to the scientists. Fundamentally, I'm pretty sure *I* can't hear a difference in my room with my ears, or at least one that I'm willing to pay for. But, you know, modern science is still pretty young relative to human existence, so I'm willing to accommodate the idea that God Loves Diversity and we don't know it all yet.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton