Quote:

So if I spend $10k on a prepro/amp stack because I believe that it sounds better, and it creates a more worthwhile and enjoyable musical experience than a $99 HTIB, then no one has any right to tell me that I'm wrong.

Well, in this case it seems likely there would be a real difference in many ways, but I simply don't agree with the idea that "if someone says they hear a difference, then you can't tell them they're wrong". While it's their right to spend the money how they like, I think it's borderline criminal to charge $10000 for the placebo effect.

ABE: I mean, people here have no trouble whatsoever saying that $1000/meter speaker cable is a waste of money with no performance advantages, and no arguments ensue. (Some places, arguments will ensue. I try to avoid those places).

Clearly, amps/receivers are more complicated stories - much more complicated.

But the answer as to whether sound quality varies is itself a VERY simple question. Blind testing. Either you can tell a difference or you can't. There may be some technical difficulties in getting matched dB levels, etc., but far tougher experiments are successfully run everyday.

The great thing about this is it doesn't rely on theories of sound perception, or even understanding much about the innards of the equipment itself. It's all about: what do people report hearing - which is what this is all about, right?

For things like power cables and speaker wires, the answer is clearcut and overwhelming: no differences within normal variation. Sure, if you use 120 gauge wire in 500 ft streches, you'll have problems, but by and large there's no detectable differences in $1/ft wire and $1000/ft wire.

I haven't really seen much in the way of amp/receiver testing of this sort. I'd love to. I said before I see no *necessary* reason there would be sound quality differences. I stand by that. I also see no *necessary* reason why there wouldn't.

If anyone can point me to real data, I'd be thrilled.

Last edited by zhimbo; 05/17/07 03:37 PM.