Craig made the choice as to which speakers would be included in the comparison. I was not privy to his reasoning, so I can't really answer your question. However, that Axiom switch had everyone drooling. Having the ability to instantaneously switch between level-matched speakers was a joy.

I audited (listened but didn't score) round 2. It drove me nuts. Craig played a female vocal, a male vocal, and an instrumental for on each pair of speakers. The differences between the two speakers were apparent. With one selection I found myself preferring speaker A without being able to quite say why, and with another I preferred speaker B, again, without being able to quite say why.

Making it even more difficult was the fact that each speaker brought to the table something the other didn't. One speaker had a narrower soundstage (approximately between the speakers), but the middle of the soundstage (i.e., the vocal) was forward (closer to me) which is a speaker trait I, very much, appreciate. That's why I like Axioms.

The other speaker had the vocal more, but not unacceptably, recessed, but the soundstage extended well beyond the spread of the two speakers and I, very much, like that trait. So, I liked aspects of each, both could be considered "good," and owners of each would have reason to quite satisfied with their speakers. Trying to decide which I preferred was agony. AAARRRGGGHHH!

Had I participated in all 6 rounds I might have come across one speaker that, in my opinion, did it all, but somehow I doubt that would have occured.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton