Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
I have a question for the sub experts here:

With my crappy, 13' square room, is there any significant advantage to upgrading my older EP350 sub to a single 400 or 500?

I understand that the new subs will go deeper, but I'm currently dealing with 28dB swings from one seated position to the next, and I'm still going to have the same room nulls and peaks. If I were to get a 500, for example, is there any advantage to replacing the current sub (same position) with a 500 if I'm currently satisfied with the volume of bass? Again, excepting that the new sub will go deeper.....

I'd like to think that I could get two 400s or 500s to help even things out, but that's an awful lot of coin and a helluva lot of sub potential for such a tiny room....

Any thoughts?

Let's set aside the fact that square rooms result in more difficult acoustical problems than rectangular rooms. For starters I would always recommend placing your existing sub as close to the listening position as possible to minimize room influences.

Moving up to a 400 or 500 from an old 350 is a huge stepup in performance and sound quality. Its not just about more extension. The 500 will give you much more headroom for sure which is always a good thing. However if you want or need the sub to be heard but not seen a 400 in that room would work well. And two would be better, especially in a square room. I'd suggest the 400 if budget and size are issues, though the improved 350v3 would also be a reasonable alternative.

John