Originally Posted By: Murph
I'll second that from another person who has a crappy square HT room. I have an EP500 and probably won't be buying another for years to come but I do have a Sony sub (10" driver, fairly loud but not accurate like the EP500) left over from my old satellite surround system. I wonder if adding it to my room would help smooth things out for my different listening positions or would it's comparative lack of power and accuracy compared to the 500 just degrade the sound more than it helps.

I know, I know, just try it out and see what it sounds like....
Just thought I'd throw it out there while the topic is up. That and if I buy one more audio cable, my wife is likely to strangle me with it. Her maiden name was Garrett and so I feel my fears are justified... \:\)

I'd encourage you to experiment with the sony sub. Many folks discourage the use of different model subs but I've usually found the benefits from smoothing room nodes outweigh the less accurate sound from the weaker sub. It will be more challenging to get the subs in phase with each other and the speakers so it will take some time to check out various placement options. Its tough to do without the aid of a graphing display though. Without one the best approach is to take your RS metre and check it frequently as you make changes to sub placment and phase. Eventually you will find a place where the needle on the RS metre does not flucuate as much.

John