I have a shameful secret that makes me feel like I am doing something wrong but I just can't help myself...

I use the tone controls on my receiver.

I wish I preferred music the way it was intended, I really do. I often try it out for awhile just to see if it's an aquired taste but to no avail. I feel guilt when I read through the forum here, knowing that all true audio lovers would never think of doing such a thing but I just can't help myself.

For me, when I have the tone controls where they should be the music sounds completely anemic. There is no bass, no sparkling treble, it just sounds dead and lifeless. When I crank up the bass knob and turn up the treble a bit the music comes to life. The bass is now felt and not just barely heard and the highs sound crisp and clean.

Maybe it's my music. I love metal, and listening to metal with no added bass or treble makes me understand why maybe a lot of people don't like the genre...

However, I do like some rock too. Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Rush, etc all sound much better with some added bass and treble. I even prefer movies this way too...

So what's the deal? Are there others out there like me? Afraid that the golden ear society will knock on the door any day now and take away the music?