That very well could be the case. I'm 34 and I do have quite a bit of tinnitus (constant ringing of the ears usually because of over exposure to loud noises). It only bothers me at night but I crank up the fan and that helps.

I had my ears tested 3 or 4 years ago because of it and my hearing was actually above average or normal or whatever they call it. I was surprised because when I put on those headphones in the sound proof booth I thought there was no way I was going to hear anything above the shrill ringing in my own ears, but I did well on the test.

I have cranked up the tone controls ever since I was a little kid. I remember my friend up the street who introduced me to metal/hard rock (hearing Highway to Hell at age 8 was a moment in time I'll never forget) had his tone controls both maxed out with the bass boost on (I think it was called a loudness button back then) and to this day he still has his current receiver set this way. Maybe it's all the hours at his house growing up that shaped how I hear music.

I'm good to go on subs (although is there really such a thing as good to go on subs?). I have a svs dual 12 inch box sub (can't remember the model) at the front of the room and a near field sub (dayton 10 inch) right next to me for some tactile feel.

I have the Dayton crossed over at 80 hz so I mostly feel it, not so much hear it. I turn it off for movies.