Originally Posted By: Murph
I'd never be that meticulous with my vinyl (if I had any left). I am however always intrigued by building gadgets. Can you elaborate on the tube used as the arm to vacuum the record and the rotating elbow?

The arm peice is one of those long skinny vaccume attachments. Here is a link to the exact one I used. The pic isint great but you can see the way it curves on the side there which mates perfectly with how it goes over the record. I cut the end off just a little bit and made it square, Then filled it in with some clear silicone on the end part. Then cut a notch down the middle the length of the grooves on a record for the air to go through and then once that was done I got some fine synthetic paint pad type thing that I cut up and glued to the bottom of the arm so it is soft where in touches the record as you vaccume. The suction holds the record to the bottom of the arm so you have to turn it by hand.

http://www.vacuflostore.com/catalog/product_detail.aspx?suom=PC&sfitm=1141-G

Now, the part that I am using to attach the arm to the base is a part of a removable handle you have on a power drill. Heres a pic of one, What I did was unscrewed the handle part of it then bolted it to the base with the same threads the handle scrwed into. I had to wrap some tape around the arm to get it to be the right diameter to cinch down on with the handle. And I just grab it and move it, It needs to be pretty firm or else you will have to hold the arm and try to spin the record at the same time. And thats about it \:\)

Last edited by Haoleb; 02/06/08 10:17 PM.