I was on the way out the door, then I read the review...

Quote:
The bottom line is that if you have nothing else, the 806's video processor is nice, especially for something like HD Cable or Satellite boxes which at best turn out their native 1080i60 signal format. For hard core DVD aficionados there is no question an Oppo 983 player is still your best bet, yet not "passed through" the Onkyo. Why? The 806 is NOT capable of unaltered HDMI repeating! At the very least it drops below black (even if the source is component analogue video).

Ultimately you are better running source straight to display, but that is going to be a problem for Blu-Ray since you MUST run it through the Onkyo in order for it to strip the HD audio from the HDMI stream. This could very well be a deal breaker for many users and we hope that Onkyo can repair this flaw via firmware in the future (although without knowing the root cause we cannot say whether that is even a possibility).

Houston, we have problem. My main goal in the upgrade (or sidways grade, I guess) is to add HDMI switching. If the video signal is not able to pass through without being degraded, I'm not buying. Thanks again for the information, saved me much frustration as I would have found this out post-purchase.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire