Zimm,
One of my favorite Churchill quotes is "the length of this document defends it well against the risk of its being read". Having said that, I read every word and appreciate your taking the time to write it. You said in a couple of places that your system could not quite reach low enough - out of curiosity do you mind saying what comprises your system?
My "system" as it were is a hodgepodge of "stuff" I have picked up over the years. The only bass I have is an 8" dual push pull M&K powered sub. I have a boston acoustic center and rears and I am not going to own up to the 2 dinky mains. What I have my eye on is an Epic 60 500 5.1. No doubt it will blow away what I am used to.
Now...having said that, I have watched Private Ryan Omaha scene many times....often as I was running on a tread mill. Turns out that just about the time the Sargent is scooping up the dirt, I have hit the 3 mile mark - but I digress. The sound effects that really get me are the sounds of the bullets slamming into the beach obstacles laid out by Rommel's men. Watching that scene and others like it in Band of Brothers, I just can't imagine what it takes to actually do that kind of thing.
In the separate "What Are You Watching" thread there were references to Man Tears during Band of Brothers.....what gets me is the interviews with the surviving members of the 101st - when those men are relating their experiences from 1944 and their chins start to tremble with the overpowering emotions they still possess - that is what puts the lump in my throat......soooo - well now that I got that off my chest I feel better.

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill