We watch BR now for the most part. DVD just can’t compete. The transfers are also getting better. Some BR movies I considered top notch a year ago are already bested by some of the newer BR disks that have come out. Some are great for showing off different aspects of the system and one of these days, I’d like to burn a BR with scenes from several on it.

All that aside, here are a few that feel are the best of the best for Sound, Video, or combination of both. Story line or entertainment value not taken into consideration…..

In order of best to not quite as good, but still excellent.

Babylon AD – Sound and Video are both reference level. I can not find fault in either.
Dr Seuss’ Horton Hears a Seuss – Fantastic colors, sharpness and overall amazing sound.
Narnia, Prince Caspian – Stunning clarity and constant use of surround effects. Reference level video.
Wall-E – high contrast scenes are hard to beat. Sound is also great.
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix – This movie has incredibly dynamic visuals with a capable display that will show high contrast. It has many very dark scenes with amazing colors that I’ve not found in any other movie. Sound is also very good.
Dark Knight – The Imax scenes are truly wonderful eye candy. Sound is also very good.
The Fifth Element (re-mastered version) – Colors and high contrast scenes are terrific.
Band of Brothers – Great “film” type demo. Sound is excellent. Many high contrast “show off” scenes with a capable display.
Master and Commander – Ultimate surround effects and dynamic range is downright scary at times.
King Kong - Another eye candy movie with terific colors and top notch clarity. Sound is overall, very impressive.