Originally Posted By: PeterChenoweth

And since my AVR lacks the ability to decode either DD-HD or DTS-HD, I'm missing out on that too.

This made me feel better so I'll share. Yesterday I played Dave Mathews at Radio City on Blu-Ray (via PS3) and on CD (via cheap, cheap Sony DVD with coax to Denon AVR 3300). After getting the timing worked out I compared A/B letting my daughter pick the input. I was flabbergasted. CD in stereo over crap was almost impossible to differentiate from BR in Dolby Digital (not Dolby HD). I could not believe it. Every now and then you would get a sense of greater breadth of image on the BR, but the lack of drastic change and easy identification was a shocking eye opener.

The good news is I was trying to see how much I had improved the imaging of my fronts, so I figured comparing stereo to Dolby would be a good comparison. I never thought it would come so close - if not match - the image of a great BR in Dolby. Honestly, if I had (could) calibrate the output levels to make certain there were not any volume issues between the two I don't know that you could tell the difference. Wow. I blew my own mind.

Point being: I'm no longer expecting such a dramatic improvement from Dolby HD. I still want a new AVR for HDMI switching.

Last edited by Zimm; 03/06/09 10:20 PM.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire