Ok, so can the 875/876 (876 since it's the same amp, I think) be added to the list of AVR's that can't effectively power M80's? If so, I need to know because if I go with an 876 and still will need my LPA-1 to power my M80's, I'm going to have to buy a whole new AV rack. \:\(

That clipping & distortion is exactly what my Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX does when I crank up my M80's (at about that same volume) and is the reason I bought my LPA-1 to power them.

I will readily admit that don't understand as much as some of this as others do about the relationship between the output db and wattage.... I am not an electrical engineer. ;\)

So if he flipped the switch to 4-ohms, where it's known that the 875/876 limits the wattage to ~55, but yet it produced the same amount of volume before the woofer cones started bouncing against the stops, then what difference would and extra 100, 500, or 1000 watts make? That does not sound right to me.

Is Onkyo lying about their output? That would be contrary to all of the glowing reviews that I've read. Please correct me, but if the cones are moving as far as they can, isn't that he limit as to how much volume the speakers can physically produce?

I would suppose that the frequency being produced would play a big role too. Asking M80's to produce a 25hz tone, for example, and getting a low db reading before distortion sets in, wouldn't really be an accurate test because M80's are not designed to produce that low of a frequency - right?

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office