Originally Posted By: Zimm
 Originally Posted By: Zimm
The addition of the Reon chip really does give the Onkyo an edge. Notice that the flagship Denon does not use the Faroujda, but a Silicon Optix chip.

Peter (et al)
Re the Silicon Optix Reon chip, I saw a very recent article comparing new projectors that said the Silicon Optix HQV chip was the best scaler of the group. Mitsu That's pretty impressive. I give this review a bit more credit on this topic considering it is not the budget-AVR review guy, but the video review guy. I'm sure the AVR guy knows his stuff, but for the same chip in the sub-$1000 Onkyo to meet the critical demands of a videophile is a useful point opinion.

Hope this helps your selection process.

With all the hub bub over the video processor in the AVR vs. maybe the TV or BD processor is superior anyway, so the AVR's processor might be mute... I have NOT been able get reports on specifically if my Mitsub. WD-73734 DLP OR my Panasonic BD55 has a 'better video processor' than the Faroudja OR the Reon.

Combing the manual's spec sheet(s), I cannot see where a video processor is listed on eihter. It may well be, but I can not pick it out of the tech/spec nomenclature. So how in the heck can we 'on paper' wise compare video processor specs AVR vs. TV vs. BD player ? ? ? ? I always get the comment: " Just try them to see which you like best." Well I have read the differences may only be noticed by a videophile who knows what to look for. If I knew the lingo, could know I was making the proper menu changes (which I do not), then maybe I'd consider trying to see only what the experts can discern.

The question we all want to know from the specs or 'expert opinions' what devices video processor does the job better. So many of the aspects of audio and video we buy on 'expert recommendations' not having the know how to discern THE differences, BUT WE WANT THE BEST (spec and real world) BANG FOR BUCK OUR BUCK that our budget allows. If the answer is not easy to devine, it does not make the question inappropriate to ask, IMHO.
[...steps of soap box and prays for answers that the big guy upstairs may only hold...]

Edit: The only mention ( I can tell) in my TV manual is this.
Image Technology: DLP. 0.65" chip, 1920 x 1080 pixels with Smooth Picture™. Also says in another place: Supports DeepColor, a new standard that incorporates 10-bit color depth.
This all sounds like 'marketing speak' for "the video is the best. Trust us. Move along, no Specs. to see here..."
BD55 manual has NO video reference that I can tell. :o(

Edit #2 But I did find a ton of info on BD55's video here, though it is Greek to me)
Specs on BD55 (third party)

Last edited by davekro; 03/15/09 08:11 PM. Reason: add edit #2

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."