I think the point of the color of white and the grey scale not being accurate even today in a significant number of monitors right from the factory is a foregone conclusion. Most of the reviews of monitors I read in much of today's CE press refers to this. I have a neighbor who just took delivery of a large screen Sony Bravia LCD set and I immediately noticed that the set right out of the box was tinted far too much towards the blue. You can't get accurate colors until this imbalance is corrected. Unless you have access to the service menu and the internal workings within the set which ONLY technicians generally have , you can't make adjustments yourself that will correct these particular problems. A good calibrator will have the software AND a laptop which will enable that individual to do the necessary tweaking(and it can take awhile) to give you as accurate a reading as possible up and down the D6500 scale. The idea is to make sure the grey scale is as accurate as possible so colors will be the same or as close to the same no matter how bright or dark the picture is. It is amazing to see how some monitors will show a terrific picture during a bright scene yet, be way out of color balance when the scene is dark. A printout should be provided so you can see exactly where your monitor fits in terms of accuracy. Of course, it can never be 100%. If the calibrator can't do this, then look elsewhere.

Generally speaking, when I look at a television right out of the box, when you are watching a movie with the black bars and in a dark scene, if the blacks are black without a tinge of either blue, green or red in the black portions of the screen, you are probably in pretty good shape and the test discs should finish the job nicely.

Like I mentioned before if you have a noticeable leaning in either of the three colors in the picture, that is something only a technician with access to the internal service menu can fix.